Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This is an intensive, intermediate level course that is intended for decision makers, senior/mid-senior executives and engineers involved in the process to design programmes meant to deploy and trial autonomous systems or directly involved in the process to design the complex system or system of systems involving autonomous vehicles and robots. It emphasized on adopting a systematic approach required to engineer and realize complex safety critical autonomous robotics systems for real world use cases.
About the course
The global market for mobile robotics is forecast to grow rapidly at CAGR of 15.6%, reaching US$30Billion by 2025. This growth will have a substantial transformative effect on most industry sectors, with numerous applications already being found in manufacturing, engineering, transportation, healthcare, retail etc. It is thus imperative to equip engineers and other professionals in Singapore with the knowledge and skills to design, develop and apply mobile robotic applications.
Self-driving cars are a popular example of an autonomous vehicle, an example that most people will be familiar with. Using autonomous driving technology as a reference for market potential and demand pertaining to autonomous vehicle and robots, a research made publicly available by Intel (conducted by Strategy Analytics) predicted autonomous driving technology to enable a new “Passenger Economy” worth $7 trillion. Sharing a similar positive outlook, a research by Frost & Sullivan in 2018 predicted the global autonomous driving market to grow up to $173.15 billion by 2030.
In Singapore, it was envisaged that driverless buses could be on the roads as early as 2020. There are also visible desires to increase utilisation of drones, autonomous vehicles and other autonomous technology across many sectors.
Aligned with the nationwide push for a Smart Nation, commercial and public organisations alike are actively commencing projects to design and trial smart systems in a control manner to assess feasibility based on a variety of use cases. A similar trend can be observed globally, with self-driving vehicles trials being conducted in various environments, other trials such as drones being using to transport organs for transplant and etc.
This course differs from other robotics courses as emphasis is placed on practical and hands-on learning,to ensure that the contents taught have relevance to real-life applications.
The main highlights of this course include: (a) having to apply state-of-the-art Hand Guiding technology on an OpenManipulator-X robotic arm, (b) having the opportunity to physically configure a ROS-enabled TurtleBot3 (that utilizes LIDAR technology and can be configured into an autonomous vehicle), and (c) having to configure an autonomous system that is a combination of the TurtleBot3 and the OpenManipulator-X robotic arm (as depicted below).
At the end of the course, the participants will be able to:
- Holistically design approaches for autonomous systems
- Learn technical fundamentals and standards in autonomous systems
- Perform software simulation for autonomous vehicles
- Assemble and program basic autonomous systems
- Identify suitable tools and techniques to facilitate system integration and interoperability of components
- Evaluate technical considerations, feasibility and implications of integrating multiple systems and components according to the integration strategy
- Design a minimum viable product roadmap plan based on envisioned need and design
What Will Be Covered
Module 1: Introduction to autonomous robots and vehicles
- Introduction to autonomous systems
Module 2 : Holistic design approach for autonomous systems – Application of Systems Engineering concepts
- Fundamentals of Systems Engineering in relevance to autonomous systems
- Systematic, holistic design approach for autonomous systems
- Workshop: Designing a use case for autonomous systems using a holistic design approach
Module 3 : Technical Fundamentals – Autonomous Vehicles & Robotics Technology
- Understanding the general architecture of Autonomous Systems
- Challenges faced while designing or developing Autonomous Systems
- Other aspects of Autonomous Systems Design
- Understanding the concept of technologies and system architectures that are involved in Autonomous Vehicles and Robots
- Workshop: Assemble and program an autonomous robot arm
Module 4 : Standards/Technical Reference for autonomous vehicles
- Sharing and elaboration on selected standards topics
- TR-68 (Singapore context)
- Other equivalent/relevant standards
Module 5 : Technical Fundamentals – In-depth Technologies and Basics of Simulation & Analysis for Autonomous Vehicles
- Self-driving cars’ perception and decision-making
- Basics of Simulation & Analysis
- Workshop: Software simulation for autonomous vehicles
Module 6 : Developing Basic Autonomous Vehicle Systems
- Automotive Basics
- Step-by-Step guidelines on how to develop basic autonomous vehicle systems
- Workshop: Develop basic autonomous vehicle systems
Module 7 : Developing an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) for your Organisation
- Future of Autonomous Vehicles in Industry Transformation
- Design Considerations
- Development Process for Autonomous Robots and Vehicles
Final Written Assessment
Dr Matthew Chua, BEng, CSM, PMP, PhD, is currently a lecturer and principal investigator at the NUS Institute of System Science where he specializes in Medical & Cybernetics Systems. He is overseeing the research programme in Smart Healthcare, Artificial Intelligence and Advanced Robotics. He...
Nicholas is currently an adjunct lecturer at the NUS Institute of System Science. Experienced in the mechanical engineering field, he specializes in state-of-the-art Industrial 4.0 technologies such as Cyber-Physical Systems (CPSs), Internet-of-Things (IoT), Augmented/Virtual Reality (AR/VR) and ...
Read more about Digital Transformation
Read more about Transportation and Logistics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.