Maximizing Your Personal Productivity: How to Become an Efficient and Effective Executive
This course is designed to increase the personal productivity of professionals through a series of case studies, practical exercises, and background readings. Maximizing Your Personal Productivity is based on Extreme Productivity, a best-selling book by Bob Pozen, Faculty Director of the program and former President of Fidelity Investments and Executive Chairman of MFS Investment Management. The program encourages self-evaluation through polls and surveys about your work habits and provides ample opportunities for learning through doing.
"Since the Great Recession, many professionals have been facing more challenging schedules and more daunting to-do lists. This makes it all the more important for professionals to be able to get their work done quickly and effectively." —Bob Pozen, Faculty Director
Maximizing Your Personal Productivity will show you how to get more done in fewer hours, so you have more time to spend with your family, or any other activity. The program offers many practical suggestions on improving productivity and provides many opportunities for learning through doing. The course includes digital techniques to help manage your career and your team.
Faculty Director Bob Pozen is the former President of Fidelity Investments and Executive Chairman of MFS Investment Management. Bob was first interviewed about his own productivity when he was full-time chairman of a large asset manager and carrying a full teaching load at a distinguished university. That interview went viral, so he wrote a short book (Extreme Productivity), drawing upon his personal and professional experiences.
Based on the book, this program is designed to increase the personal productivity of professionals through a series of case studies, practical exercises, polls, surveys, and background readings.
Designed for busy, experienced managers, this program will increase your personal productivity by helping you to:
- Prioritize your goals and align your time allocation better with your top goals
- Complete your high-priority projects efficiently by focusing early on the final product
- Develop techniques for moving quickly through low priority tasks like emails
- Hold shorter and more productive meetings with clear agendas and outcomes
- Manage your own team by learning how to delegate and set metrics for success
- Manage your boss by communicating regularly and adopting complementary styles
- Read with more speed and comprehension by focusing on what is most important
- Write more effectively by using outlines, the active voice and strong connectors
Sample Schedule—Subject to Change
DAY 1 SAMPLE
- 7:45AM - 8:30AM Registration and Continental Breakfast
- 8:30AM - 8:45AM Introduction
- 8:45AM - 10:30AM Setting Priorities and Managing Your Daily Schedule
- 10:30AM - 12:00PM Career Planning Through Social Media
- 12:00PM - 1:00PM Networking Lunch
- 1:00PM - 2:30PM International Constraints: Low-Priority Tasks; Procrastination Office Constraints, Email and Meetings
- 2:30PM - 4:15PM Reading Faster and with Better Comprehension
- 4:15PM - 05:00PM Exercise: Writing More Effectively
- 5:00PM - 7:00PM Reception
DAY 2 SAMPLE
- 7:45AM - 08:30AM Continental Breakfast
- 8:30AM - 8:45AM Day 1 Recap
- 8:45AM - 10:15AM Writing More Effectively by Using Outlines and Other Devices
- 10:15AM - 12:00PM Completing Your Top Priority Projects Efficiently by Focusing on the Final Project
- 12:00PM - 1:00PM Networking Lunch
- 1:30PM - 2:30PM Leading Performance-Based Teams
- 2:30PM - 3:15PM Using Digital Tools to Improve Team Productivity
- 3:15PM - 3:45PM Work-Life Conflicts
- 3:45PM - 4:15PM Exercise: Construct Your Circle
- 4:15PM - 5:00PM Conclusion
Who should attend
Mid- to senior-level managers with significant managerial responsibility and extensive work experience would benefit from this program, especially those seeking to advance and expand their leadership role within an organization. The program is designed for both U.S. and foreign executives. It has been found useful to experienced managers from startups, as well as established global companies, as well as not-for-profit and governmental organizations.