Who should attend
The program benefits ambitious project managers from all industries with at least one year’ experience, mid- and senior-level managers who have completed a recent introductory project management course and must now lead more complex projects, as well as anyone who does not have their PMP designation from PMI and who wishes to consolidate and solidify their project management training for career success.
About the course
The project management certification curriculum is built around the Project Management Institute’s A Guide to Project Management Body of Knowledge.
Eighteen days of instruction are divided into nine one-, two- and three-day modules that run every second week, including one weekend day.
You’ll cultivate skills across all areas of project management while advancing your organization’s ability to manage key partners and build quality measures into every project. Advance your proficiencies in project planning and control; improve your leadership, communication and stakeholder management skills; and master the art of project quality management. From cost management to procurement and contracting management to assessing and managing risk, The Masters Certificate in Project Management empowers you with the know-how to excel as a senior-level project manager.
Review of course deliverables, expert instructors and teaching modules.
- Program introduction and review of objectives
- Overview of the knowledge areas of project management as defined by the Project Management Institute and others
- Introduction to the project simulation/case study to be used throughout the program
- Delivery of tools and technology to be used throughout the program
- Discussion and exercise around team leadership and effectiveness
Project Planning and Control
A complete foundation in successful planning and implementation
- How to form a project team, scope projects and manage within a Matrix Environment
- Developing detailed and high-level PM plans
- Creating activity-based network diagrams and working with the critical path
- Introduction to Earned Value Management
- Meeting stakeholder requirements with various control strategies
Leadership, Communication and Stakeholder Management
Improving your project effectiveness in HR, Communications and Stakeholder Management
- Communicating with Project Stakeholders meaningfully and effectively while supporting the success of the project
- Choosing, developing, managing and organizing your project team
- Identifying all stakeholders and managing their engagement
- Building communication plans and using templates
- Exploring strategies for challenging communication environments such as organizational change, diversity, and virtual teams
Project Quality Management
Learn how to build quality measures into every project
- Quality: Defined and measured
- The basic process for achieving quality
- How preventive quality action reduces project cost dramatically
- Reducing total cost of quality through problem-solving
- Overcoming obstacles to front-end planning and achieving results
Effective Project Cost Management
Manage your projects through the lens of cost minimization
- Cost estimating: Micro versus macro
- Resource planning, budgeting and cost control
- Earned value concepts
- Fixed, variable and unit costs
- Status reporting
Procurement and Contracting Management
Successfully manage key vendors and partners
- Procurement and solicitation planning
- Solicitation and negotiation principles
- Source selection
- Contract close-out and contract law
Assessing and Managing Project Risk
Approaches to evaluating project uncertainties and risks
- Project risk management framework
- Risk management in project planning and execution
- Quantitative and team facilitation techniques to identify risks and responses
- Utilizing decision trees and expected monetary value
- Applying techniques such as Delphi method and Monte Carlo simulation
Introduction to Agile and Scrum
Understand key elements of Agile and Scrum and how to apply them to any project.
- Agile and Scrum Introduction
- Sprint Preparation
- Sprint Execution
- Sprint Closure
Filling in the Gaps and Final Exam
Review of key concepts and testing areas for the final exam
- Review of complex issues in scope, time, cost, quality, human resource, communications and risk management
- Review all areas covered in the program to date
- The PMBOK® Guide as a complete unit
- Final exam spanning all program material (marks to be handed out the same day)
- Preparing for the PMP® certification examination
- Review question styles to improve your chances of success
Project Simulation Execution and Program Close
- Participants apply their learning to propose, plan, execute and deliver a full-scale realistic project in teams.
Biography A bilingual manager with more than 30 years of experience in project management and systems engineering management, Michel has worked at Spar Aerospace, Bombardier, Harmon industries and CAE as a project manager and a process improvement manager. Among his key achievements, he conducted...
Biography Clément Beaumont developed his Project Management and manager competencies serving with the Canadian Forces (CF). While serving at the National Defence Headquarters, he worked as Project coordinator for two major projects. Following that, he was appointed Director of the research progra...
Biography Currently acting as senior VP and regional director for the Project Management Centre, Benoit also provides services in process and methodology definition as well as systems implementation and training. He is also the Director of IFGP – Institut de formation en gestion de projets, a pro...
Michael Delis is executive vice-president and director of training and methodologies at the Project Management Centre Inc. as well as coordinator of the certification and education program for the Project Management Institute’s Montreal office, and a board member of Agile Montreal. As a senior PM...
Biography Ariel Deluy’s experience spans more than 15 years during which he implemented enterprise project management systems, building and managing multidisciplinary and highly effective project teams to deliver complex solution for clients, and providing strategic planning services for a number...
Roxane Fast has a unique blend of expertise including project management, financial management and business analysis holding designations as a Project Management Professional (PMP®), Certified Management Accountant (CMA®) and a Registered PRINCE2® Practitioner as well as being a member of the Int...
Celine is a sought after international instructor with experience as a project manager on IT related projects, behavioral science projects as well as course development and delivery projects. She has effectively shaped and supported high performance teams in a variety of international venues. Ce...
Gilles Lalonde is the president of Qualitum Gestion Conseil based in Montréal. He has 17 years of experience as a quality program manager and director of quality assurance in major corporations in the aerospace and aeronautical industries. Gilles teaches Advanced Project Management at the McGill ...
Doug is the program director, Western Canada for the Masters Certificate in Project Management program. He is also senior vice-president and program director, Western Canada for Atocrates and president of Lobstick Project Solutions Inc. Doug is an award winning trainer, coach and consultant. His ...
Victoria (Tory) Salisbury has more than 18 year’s professional experience in project and process management as a consultant, coach, instructor and project manager, working in various public and private sector industries across Canada, the UK and the US. She has worked with several organizations o...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.