Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
The Masters Certificate in Project Management is ideal for:
- Project managers, with at least one year's experience, who wish to move up to a higher level in their field
- Mid and senior level managers who have completed an introductory project management program in recent years
- Anyone who does not have their PMP® designation from PMI®
- Those with their PMP in need of PDUs or to brush up on the most current PM training
- You do NOT need a university degree to attend this program
About the course
The Masters Certificate course format appreciates the severe time limitations of today’s corporate employees and encourages active learning. The majority of this program is delivered in 2 or 3 day modules every second week. A short assignment is handed out after each module, creating about an hour of homework over the two weeks between classes. These assignments tie the whole program together and help prepare for the project simulation you will run through at the end of the program. An exam is administered at the end of the program.
- Better manage your projects, from planning and team building to quality and cost management.
- Become a stronger, more effective communicator and leader.
- Be fully prepared to write the PMP® certification examination.
- Advance to a senior level in project management.
- Connect and network with other project managers.
- Overview of the knowledge areas of project management as defined by the Project Management Institute (PMI)® and others
- Introduction to the project simulation to be used throughout the program
- Delivery of tools and technology to be used throughout the program
- Discussion and exercise around team leadership and effectiveness
Project Planning and Control
- How to form a project team, scope projects and manage within a matrix environment
- Developing detailed and high-level project management plans
- Creating activity-based network diagrams and working with the critical path
- Understanding earned value management
- Meeting stakeholder requirements with various control strategies
Project Quality Management
- Quality: defined and measured
- The basic process for achieving quality
- How preventive quality action dramatically reduces project cost
- Reducing total cost of quality through problem solving
- Overcoming obstacles to front-end planning and achieving results
Leadership, Communication & Stakeholder Management
- Understanding communication dynamics and your communication style
- Team development: understanding yourself, stakeholders and team members
- Linking team life cycle stages with project communication needs
- The impact of change curve stages on your project team and stakeholders
- Building a communication plan and templates for your project
- Communication strategies for virtual teams
Effective Project Cost Management
- Cost estimating: micro versus macro
- Resource planning, budgeting and cost control
- Earned value concepts
- Fixed, variable and unit costs
- Status reporting
Assessing & Managing Project Risk
- Project risk management framework
- Risk management in project planning and execution
- Quantitative and team facilitation techniques to identify risks and responses
- Utilizing decision trees and expected monetary value
- Applying techniques such as Delphi method and Monte Carlo simulation
Procurement & Contracting Management
- Procurement and solicitation planning
- Solicitation and negotiation principles
- Source selection
- Contract close-out and contract law
Introduction To Agile And Scrum
Understand key elements of Agile and Scrum and how to apply them to any project.
- Agile and Scrum Introduction
- Sprint Preparation
- Sprint Execution
- Sprint Closure
Filling in the Gaps and Final Exam
- Review all areas covered in the program to-date (scope, time, cost, quality, human resource, communications, and risk management)
- The A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) as a complete unit
- Preparing for the masters certificate final exam
- Final exam spanning all program material (marks to be handed out the same day)
PMBOK is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
What you will learn:
In project simulation, all participants apply their learning to propose, plan, execute and deliver a full-scale realistic project in teams
Many graduates tell us that this is the best part of the whole program. It serves to pull it all together – all of the knowledge, tools, techniques and relationships come together to complete the program and the student’s tool kit. Students have been working on the project simulation throughout the program and now they will execute the project – a unique, exciting, and somewhat stressful experience. Just like real life.
Gladys manages teams with strong leadership ability and a positive and supportive approach. She has facilitated seminars throughout North America, delivering workshops on various aspects of business and technology. She develops and presents training programs that focus on growth through attitude ...
Christine Beaulieu is an experienced information technology executive with more than 20 years of expertise in the management of large IT departments and in the implementation and management of information systems. Her career has been largely focused on project management and communication for lar...
Biography Clément Beaumont developed his Project Management and manager competencies serving with the Canadian Forces (CF). While serving at the National Defence Headquarters, he worked as Project coordinator for two major projects. Following that, he was appointed Director of the research progra...
Biography Ariel Deluy’s experience spans more than 15 years during which he implemented enterprise project management systems, building and managing multidisciplinary and highly effective project teams to deliver complex solution for clients, and providing strategic planning services for a number...
Celine is a sought after international instructor with experience as a project manager on IT related projects, behavioral science projects as well as course development and delivery projects. She has effectively shaped and supported high performance teams in a variety of international venues. Ce...
Jeff Henry is president & CEO of Sinora International Research & Consulting Inc., providing business and project management consulting, education and project planning and management. He has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, alliance management, business development, indust...
Gilles Lalonde is the president of Qualitum Gestion Conseil based in Montréal. He has 17 years of experience as a quality program manager and director of quality assurance in major corporations in the aerospace and aeronautical industries. Gilles teaches Advanced Project Management at the McGill ...
Biography Karen Noftall is a graduate of Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador. Karen brings more than 24 years experience in the business and QHSE fields, from the technical side of manufacturing through to the development, implementation and registration of integrated QHSE management...
As President of Pottruff Consulting Inc., Kathryn helps individuals and organizations drive profitable growth by improving how projects, programs and portfolios are managed. Whether she is giving a keynote address, conducting a workshop, working with managers to bring about needed organizational ...
Biography Profile: MA in Oriental Studies (Persian and Arabic) (Oxford), PhD in Iranian Studies (SOAS, London) Professor of Iranian Studies and Comparative Religion Head of Religions and Theology in the School of Arts Histories and Cultures 2008-2011 Joined the University of Manchester in 1985 ...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Negotiations
Read more about Project management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.