Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
Who should attend
- Professionals in leadership positions in private or public healthcare, including hospitals, CCACs, LHINs, long-term care facilities, etc.
- Individuals seeking to increase their leadership capacity and influence within the system
- Managers, directors, physicians, researcher’s administrators, team leaders, and other senior officials in healthcare organizations
- Any individual seeking to consolidate and certify their leadership and management skills in preparation for career advancement
About the course
Embrace health-sector challenges to deliver better care and lead people more effectively.
The Masters Certificate in Healthcare Management – the first comprehensive certificate program of its kind in Canada – addresses the unique leadership issues facing healthcare professionals, providing tools, techniques, and best practices to effectively lead in the complex world of Ontario’s healthcare sector.
Our program faculty includes leaders in healthcare, business, and academia who will share their insight and knowledge with participants in an integrated and experiential learning environment.
Through this program, today’s healthcare professionals will have an opportunity to examine innovative business models that can be applied to healthcare and acquire new knowledge and skills to enhance their capability to lead in a complex and ever-changing system.
Key Program Take-Aways
- Learn to understand and respond to workplace issues differently to improve results
- Combine core business competencies with healthcare industry leadership skills and knowledge
- Apply best practices from other industries to promote a culture of accountability, innovation and collaboration
- Gain useful tools, techniques, and checklists to take back and apply immediately to facilitate your work and share with peers
- Enhance capabilities to lead and manage in a fast-changing, multi-disciplinary environment
- Develop strategies to manage complexity and promote organizational success
- Build your professional healthcare network
Unique Program Features
- World-class instruction by accomplished healthcare, business, and academic experts
- Applied learning through an individualized anchoring project that can be used in your workplace immediately
- Respects your busy schedule: one work-day matched with one weekend day demonstrates personal commitment and avoids multiple work absences
- Network with peers from different parts of the healthcare spectrum and share experiences for valuable insights into the whole system
- Learning is practical, interactive and healthcare-sector focused with many take-away tools
Advanced Leadership in the Healthcare Sector
The Role of the Healthcare Leader
Start the program by diving into a conversation about what it takes to lead in a system undergoing profound change.
- Introduction to the Healthcare Management program
- Explore the changing role of the leader in healthcare
System Integration in Healthcare – The Ontario Experience
Learn to optimize the Local Health Integration Network environment for your organization.
- Understand how regionalization is developing in Ontario and learn strategies for influencing the process
- Learn to build horizontal and vertical partnerships for seamless patient care
Excelling with Emotional Intelligence
Understand your personal leadership style so that you can most effectively influence your work environment.
- Assess your personal leadership style, including strengths and limitations
- Gain insight into your level of emotional intelligence (EI)
Critical Thinking and Project Management
Thinking Skills for a Turbulent World: The Art of Framing and Reframing
Develop thinking skills that will enhance your effectiveness in the ever-changing field of healthcare.
- Learn how to anticipate emerging changes in healthcare
- Improve your critical thinking by recognizing and challenging taken-for-granted assumptions
- Develop the seeing and thinking skills to recognize opportunities
Practical Project Management
Drive corporate and departmental strategies in times of tight resources and competing priorities with the tools of professional project managers.
- Gain approval and sponsorship for your projects
- Manage risk to deliver high quality results
Communication and Problem Solving
Effectively influence others: express your preferences the first time.
- High-impact techniques to deliver your spoken and written communications
- Proven strategies to build collaborative, professional relationships
Resolving Conflicts – Your Own and Others’
Explore common sources of conflict in healthcare and your role as a leader.
- Assess your preferred conflict style and how it impacts your ability to resolve disputes
- Learn a five-step process for managing conflicts
Leading Change & Innovation in Healthcare
Leading Change in Healthcare
Prepare for your role as an effective change agent.
- Learn best practices for implementing change in healthcare organizations
- Apply the eight-step change and transition process to cases
Innovative and Creative Thinking
Make innovation part of your core competencies with practical tools to advance your organization beyond entrenched ideas.
- Identify and overcome obstacles to individual and team innovation
- Lead teams to be more innovative
Collaboration and Appreciative Leadership
Collaboration in Cross-Functional Teams
Learn to address cross-functional team collaboration in a continually changing environment
- Define and identify the characteristics of cross-functional teams
- Use the Integrated Team Effectiveness Model (ITEM) to identify areas for improvement
- Understand and implement concepts of team balance
The Power of Appreciative Leadership
- Establish highly-effective and motivated care teams using the processes of appreciative leadership.
- Understand employee engagement strategies and how to enhance staff commitment to quality care and to the organization
- Develop highly-effective teams and individuals, using appreciative inquiry methodology
Information Technology and Lean
Improve your understanding of the many changes technology and various types of integration can bring to a healthcare organization, to help ensure better adoption and outcomes for your organization.
- Different types of changes that technology and integration can bring to a healthcare organization
- How to embrace an information driven culture
- The importance of extraordinary and sustainable service delivery
Lean – A prescription for Healthcare
Explore Lean, a proven problem solving, process improvement strategy that enables the delivery of consistent, high-quality outcomes.
- Understand the fundamentals of Lean – and the key ingredient for its success
- Discover eight sources of waste and inefficiency in hospitals and master the tools to eradicate them
Finance, Strategy and Authentic Leadership
Financing and Implementing Your Strategy
- Decision making and financing your strategy
- Lessons learned in developing your strategy to avoid future problems
- How to embrace an information-driven culture
- The importance of extraordinary and sustainable service delivery
Prepare for your role as a courageous healthcare leader.
- Understanding the concepts of authentic leadership
- How to apply these concepts to your own leadership style
Learnings Consolidating / Program Closure
Biography David S. Weiss received his doctorate from the University of Toronto and has three Master’s Degrees in psychology, education and philosophy. David is a highly sought-after keynote speaker and has been honoured with the “Distinguished Lecturer” certificate from the Government of Canada. ...
Biography Diana Kawarsky specializes in business communications for Schulich’s Executive Education Centre, York University. In addition, she is a facilitator, adult educator, coach and management consultant with Fortune 500 companies throughout North America. Her experience spans nearly 20 years....
For more than 25 years, I’ve helped organizations find their ways to build cultures of trust, inclusion and engagement. Working closely with leaders, we build the conditions for successful staff engagement and equip leaders and contributors with the thinking and behaviors that sustain vitality. ...
Sandra is the principal of Synergy Management Consulting, specializing in leadership coaching, customized training and facilitation services. Sandra is certified in MBTI, BarOn Emotional Intelligence Assessment, Facilitation First Train-the- Trainer, Coaches Training Institute, and training as a ...
Professor of Organization Studies, Schulich School of Business Ingo’s research and teaching interests include leadership, creativity, and organizational change. As a teacher, Ingo is passionate about developing his students’ skills in seeing the world as a place of opportunity.
Olsen and Associates Consulting Inc. Monica Olsen is an organization effectiveness consultant and a long-standing member of the PMI faculty. Her expertise focuses on the areas of leadership development, facilitation, curriculum design and professional coaching. Her work group recently received th...
Biography Kevin Quinn is a senior consultant at Leadership Frontiers, an international consulting and training firm based in Toronto. Kevin has more than 20 years of experience as a trainer and consultant, following 10 years as a project manager in IT where he delivered on-time projects as a sen...
Biography Tyson Roffey is currently the Chief Information and Privacy Officer at CHEO (Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario). Recent accomplishments at CHEO include the creation of a five-year plan; implementation of a pharmacy system, nursing documentation and eClinDoc. Prior to joining CHEO i...
Biography Jeff is a highly accomplished Lean and Six Sigma professional with significant experience leading continuous process/product improvement and excellence initiatives. He has trained and coached individuals and senior leaders on Lean Six Sigma methodologies and process improvement projects...
Biography Rob LaJoie is the Managing Partner and leader of the consulting and implementation practices for Ideaction Inc. He is an experienced business leader, manager and practical innovator who applies the process of innovating to solve real business problems. Rob’s expertise lies in the areas...