Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
- Both newly appointed and experienced supervisors and managers of warehouse and distribution centers, plant, inventory and materials managers.
- Physical distribution and other management personnel.
- Shipping and store supervisors.
- Supervisors, managers and data processing personnel interested in practices that facilitate efficient warehouse layouts, systems and operations.
About the course
Warehousing and physical distributions are changing dramatically! New approaches and methods offer opportunities to cut costs substantially while improving overall operations. More and more organizations are now focusing on the impact of the warehouse's bottom line and recognizing that their warehouse operations are key to organizational success.
Companies that make the best use of the principles of planning and managing warehouse operations have competitive advantage. Companies that lack warehouse strategic planning and operational excellence lose profits, market share, cost advantages, and market leadership.
You will not only learn practical ways to improve equipment selection, warehouse layouts, inventory control, put-away, packing, loading, picking, and receiving, but you will start immediately to identify ways to apply these ideas to your specific environment. During the class you will have the chance to develop your own action plan so you can put the seminar to work for you right away. Furthermore, you will soon see how the time-tested techniques from Managing and Improving Warehouse Operations can be used successfully on the job to strengthen the relationship between the overall organization and your warehouse operations.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Measure warehouse productivity - and improve it
- Improve your warehouse layout
- Estimate storage and space requirements accurately
- Use practical techniques to manage the critical functions of an effective warehouse
- Select the proper equipment for your warehouse
- Choose efficient storage systems for your warehouse
- Streamline the flow of paper and materials to smooth workloads and improve warehouse controls
- Schedule work to meet volume and costs targets
- Develop specific and realistic guidelines for planning and designing a warehouse
- SIMPLIFY, SIMPLIFY, SIMPLIFY - and increase your warehouse productivity in the process
- Develop methods for assembling and analyzing the information you need to optimize your warehouse
- Increase the capacity of your warehouse with optimal storage methods
- Balance your warehouse service level with customers' requirements
- Focus on the primary warehouse functions - and continuously improve your results
- Be aware of the warehouse's rhythm by determining management techniques for scheduling work and evaluating functional operations travel time
- Use order filling and selection techniques that will increase speed and cut cost
- Identify the precise problems that are most troublesome in your warehouse
- Identify cutting, productivity improvement, and cost-effective measures for your warehouse
- Understand the most important concepts in the warehousing/distribution field today and its emerging role
The Scope of Warehouse Management's Responsibility
- Examine the current role of warehousing in your company the value and impact of higher efficiency
- Learn how to define cost centers and how to give directions
- You will learn that leaders aren't born - they are made, and the keys to being a better motivator.
Key Warehousing Functions and Operation
- Evaluate receiving and storage operations, improve order-filling techniques
- The different methods for order selection
- Learn how to control order picking, shipping via carrier transport
- Review put-away and assess storage functions
- And you will be able to identify opportunities for improvement
Facility Maintenance, Housekeeping, Health, Safety and Security
- Learn best practices in maintenance, equipment care and housekeeping
- Raise safety awareness and improve health and safety environments
- Enhance physical security and loss prevention.
Make the Right Equipment Decisions
- Learn the criteria for evaluating and selecting equipment - powered and non- powered mobile equipment, storage equipment and methods; and dock, data entry, and communication equipment
- Choose efficient storage systems based on overall space requirements, layout, material flow, and space utilization
- Select cranes and conveyors
- Identify what is involved in mechanizing or automating equipment
Improve the Warehouse Facility Layout
- Methodologies for layout planning, reduce travel time and distance with the proper use of space to smooth the flow, layout philosophies and capacity factor guidelines
- Determine space-building requirements
- Pinpoint approaches for layout and space resources
In-Warehouse Location and Inventory Control
- Various techniques for storage location, use of locator system controls, ABC analysis, how to improve inventory control, establish material location and inventory control guidelines
- Evaluate physical inventory and cycle counting programs
Simplify and Improve Work Methods
- Key warehouse information features, preparing for technology and WMS, developing a three-step warehouse operational profile, improve and implement operational controls, work simplification and improvement methods to allow warehouse workers to "Work Smarter, Not Harder"
- Work measurement and analysis techniques
Measure Warehouse Performance and Productivity
- Develop meaningful and performance measures, access control and measures that achieve management expectations and match workers' capabilities
- How to conduct a productivity analysis based on performance reports
- Understand the keys to optimal performance and productivity
- Set up a warehouse operations check sheet
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.