This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
Managers today run a gauntlet of competing demands, both personal and professional. Finding the right balance between work and life isn't easy, but doing so is essential to good health and energy, reduced stress, improved productivity at work and personal happiness. Most people feel so overloaded that they don't know where to start in addressing this balance issue. Dr. David Posen will simplify the process by leading you on a four-part voyage of self-discovery that will bring structure to your quest, and help you discover a multitude of tips for working more effectively, making time for leisure and taking more control of your life. The objectives of this dynamic, interactive session are to help participants: (1) develop a clear picture of the Work-Life Balance they would like to achieve; (2) identify obstacles that stand in the way of achieving their desired balance; (3) develop a repertoire of action strategies and tools for overcoming current obstacles and any that may arise in the future; and (4) develop their own personal action plan which is concrete, practical and achievable.
Time Allocation - Topics
10% Where Are You Now?
- Work-Life Balance chart--actual
- Human Function Curve (present stress level)
10% Clarifying Goals
- Work-Life Balance chart--desired
- Draw 3 pictures of things you'd like to do (or do more of) if you had the time
10% Identifying Obstacles
- What's holding you back? (individual exercise)
- Demands & Pressures (external and internal)
- Time-Crunched Personality Traits
60% Overcoming Obstacles
- Work Smart: Pacing, Time Outs, Prioritizing
- Saying NO; Setting limits & boundaries
- How to Make Time for Leisure
- Overcome Guilt (Enlightened Self-Interest)
- Health & Self-Care (Balance your Energy)
- Balance your Self-Concept
10% How to Transfer the Learning to Real Life Situations
- Personal Action Plan
Primary -- LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT: Commitment, Communication, Decisiveness, Motivation, Timing, Use of Time
Secondary -- PLANNING/ORGANIZING: Problem Identification, Selecting and Organizing Information, Developing Specific Plans, Determining Required Resources
Tertiary -- EXECUTING/CONTROLLING/EVALUATING: Decision Making, Delegation, Coordination, Meeting Schedules, Follow Up
Trust the experts
Dr. David Posen graduated from the University of Toronto Medical School in 1967. He was involved in a research project in San Francisco before interning in Edmonton, Alberta. After a year of general practice in the Canadian Arctic he spent a year practicing in Jerusalem. In 1971 he started a fami...