Who should attend
Senior managers from all functional areas involved in strategic decision-making.
About the course
Every day as a manager, you’re asked to make choices. Some bigger and more public than others, but they all add up. Over time it is your decision-making track record that establishes your reputation and impacts the future of your organization.
Is decision-making an art or a science? The truth is, it’s both. This 1-day program will demonstrate how to blend intuition and analytics in order to select the best next move.
You’ll leave with a practical framework, designed to help you avoid common biases to arrive at and implement decisions that are both effective and ethical.
Dynamic remote learning
Participate in the program from anywhere. Our remote learning platform combines live, interactive video instruction with breakout sessions, panel discussions, and expert Q&A.
In this program you will learn to:
- Utilize different prescriptions for positive decision-making practices in the future based on learnings from other successful managers and business leaders' decision-making
- Discuss and build a framework for both strategic and tactical problem-solving – an asset for any managers faced with making important decisions about their businesses
- Understand the impact of your decisions across the organization
- Avoid common biases to arrive at and implement decisions that are both effective and ethical
- Blend the art and science of decision-making into a practical process
- Increased responsiveness to internal and external customer needs
- Avoid decision-making traps and resolve decision-making bottlenecks
- Make effective decisions in uncertain and risky environments
- Ensure that decisions are made at the right level in the organization
- Improved productivity through better teamwork, communication and coordination
- Better use and allocation of limited resources
Throughout this one-day remote learning program, you will examine strategic decision-making, as well as study managerial and organizational decision processes in the context of breakthrough research from business management, behavioural economics and cognitive science.
Through briefings, case studies, and exercises—you will explore decision-making challenges, especially in uncertain and changing business environments, and consider a framework for making effective decisions.
- Learn how to analyze uncertain and complex industry and business environments, and discuss the risks of under- and over-analysis
- Study the role of intuition and judgment in strategic decision-making, as well as look at inherent biases and traps in such approaches
- Through case study discussion, analyze decision-making situations, and evaluate feasible alternatives and criteria
- Learn how to blend the art and science of decision-making into a practical framework for solving strategic problems
- Consider barriers and bottlenecks that can bog down decision processes, and discuss approaches for improving the efficiency and quality of organizational decision-making
Associate Dean and Executive Director of Smith School of Business - Executive Education & Adjunct Associate Professor Salman Mufti is Associate Dean and Executive Director of Smith School of Business - Executive Education. He is also Associate Professor of Management Information Systems at...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about General Management Programs
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.