About the course
This course has two primary and related goals. Firstly, to equip entrepreneurs and business managers with the competencies required to envision and internalise higher levels of individual, team and organisational performances. The second goal is to enable participants to effectively mentor their subordinates as an integral part of their work practices.
Upon successful completion of this course, the participants will be able to do the following in the context of the targeted organisation(s):
- Exhibit essential principles of coaching as a way of thinking, managing and being.
- Demonstrate an increased sense of self-awareness, responsibility and accountability in relation to work practices and purpose.
- Demonstrate ownership for continuous improvement of self and applicable work environment.
- Effectively mentor others towards improved work performance and purpose.
The following topics constitute the core content of this course:
- Nature and importance of coaching
- Coaching versus mentoring
- Coaching principles
- Coaching practice
- Mentoring practice
- Changing world of work: implications for coaching and mentoring
Certification and further studies
At the end of the course, candidates will be certified according to the following requirements:
- Certificate of attendance: 85% attendance with meaningful participation.
- Certificate of competence: A minimum final mark of 50%, with a sub-minimum of 40% in the summative assessment.
- In addition, successful candidates receive a statement of results and may qualify for exemptions in line with the prevailing requirements.
This course is taught in English and assessed through written assignments in the English Language.
In order to access online resources and participate in online activities, all students require access to reliable
computer and internet facilities. The following minimum system requirements are recommended:
- Reliable internet connection with continuous access
- Firefox/Internet Explorer/Chrome web browser
- Microsoft Word
- MS Project 2013
- The means to open and read PDF documents
- The means to scan and upload documents
- Email/cellphone for notification and communication.