Who should attend
Managers and directors of departments who are responsible for organizational or departmental profitability.
About the course
Accounting and financial concepts form the foundation of good business decision making, which enables managers to successfully achieve the goals of an organization. This five-part series introduces how correctly understanding an organization’s internal financial data is vital to managing daily operating activities, allocating resources, and evaluating performance. Gain essential knowledge that will increase your confidence when making internal financial decisions. In addition, the benefits of maintaining a sustainability perspective are addressed.
- Basic decision-making model and identifying relevant information
- Cost-volume-profit (CVP), break-even analyses, and contribution margin
- Operating cycle decisions
- Determining unit costs for outsourcing and further processing decisions
- Overhead allocation strategies and activity-based costing (ABC)
- Cost, volume and profit
- Investing and financing cycle decisions
- Capital budgeting, time value of money, and the risk-return relationship
- Net present value (NPV) and the internal rate of return (IRR)
- Evaulating internal performance
- Comparison of budget to actual
- Components of retrun on investment (ROI)
- Impact of transfer pricing within an organization
- Putting it all in context: Incorporating a sustainability perspective
As a result of attending this program, participants will:
- Recognize key criteria for making typical operating, investing or financing decisions
- Identifying relevant costs from financial information available to internal decision makers
- Utilize time value of money principles when evaluating alternative investment scenarios
- Make better business decisions consistent with creating long-term value for the organization
Thomas D. Schultz is an Assistant Professor of Accountancy in the Haworth College of Business at Western Michigan University. Tom received his doctoral degree from the School of Accountancy & Information Management at Arizona State University, an MAS. from Northern Illinois University, and a ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.