About the course
Students will learn to compare and contrast the features of the local government systems across Canada, examine internal governing structures along with some of the key responsibilities of local government, and assess future challenges and prospects. Local governments will be placed within Canada’s federal system and will trace the foundations of the systems and their evolution through various reforms and restructuring.
Course at a glance
- Aimed at individuals interested in moving into higher level responsibilities in the local government field; our student body includes municipal government employees in planning, corporate services, economic development, operations, finance, and more.
- Fully online asynchronous course, accessible through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.
- Participate in online discussions with peers from all over Canada and expand your professional network.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Provide timely introductory information about local government in Canada.
- Have acquired an informal, online student local government community of interest.
- Describe current issues and trends in local government.
- Identify a variety of approaches and models for organizing local governments and their services.
- Have an enhanced personal understanding of the legislative, leadership and service roles of local governments.
- A textbook is required for this course; details will be provided in the course syllabus.
- Additional learning materials are provided through eClass.
- For those interested in pursuing the NACLAA Level I certificate, this course is recommended to be taken at the beginning of the program.
- This course also fulfills 39 of the required elective hours for the ALUP certificate program.
Experience Alberta School of Business, University of Alberta Instructor, Public Administration Professionalism NAIT Instructor, Project Management and Business Applications Strategic Approaches to Information Services Instructor, Business Applications Instructor - Project Management 2019 г....
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.