About the course
In the good and the tough times, the best leaders leverage optimism to make strategic change for yourself and your team. Optimists are realists who are the first to admit there are problems and the first to do something about them. As a leader, you’ll learn how to reframe challenges as opportunities and to turn downturns into strategic progress. You’ll learn how to turn your anxiety and worries into attitudes and actions that produce results. Today’s leaders don’t just initiate change; they keep inventing the future over and over again. Learn how to value the past while embracing the future, drive a vision but remain open to strategic innovation, be tight where you can and loose where you need to invest, and major in both accountability and support. While affirming core values and organizational strategy, learn how to sustain team morale and productivity through constant change and how to manage accountability by finding the winning balance between caring enough to confront and rewarding performance. Explore how to support innovation and early problem solving while generating enthusiasm for change. Unleash the power of cultural stories and best practices. Don’t miss this engaging and practical program that stresses specific strategies you can use to leverage optimism in support of strategic change.
Time Allocation - Topics
- 50% Developing Your Optimism Advantage
- Choosing One’s Attitude—Learned Helplessness or Earned Optimism
- Beat the Myth of Perfection on the Road to Optimism and Results
- The Power of Purpose, Service-Centered Missions and Values
- Promote strategic lifelong learning to right size and right skill
- Live the Action Imperative—Make a Move and Keep Moving
- Let Future-Focused Self-Criticism Turn Mistakes into Valued Lessons
- Manage Your Motivation by Catching Yourself Being Effective
- A Sense of Humor Helps—Take Change Seriously and Yourself Lightly
- 50% Leaders Make Change Work
- Sell the need for strategic change
- Optimistically drive your flexible but compelling vision and mission
- Affirm and using core values to build and keep trust
- Unleash the power of story to shape a changing organizational culture
- Focus resources where they count—Balancing cost containment and strategic investment
- Care enough to confront and use timely feedback as course-correction data
- Learn bridge-building strategies to increase your strategic influence batting average
- Strategic change management starts with changing yourself first
- Primary -- LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT: Change Management, Communication, Adaptability, Listening, Inspiring, Coalition Building
- Secondary -- PLANNING/ORGANIZING: Use of Authority, Time Management, Delegation/Empowerment
- Tertiary -- SELF-MOTIVATION: Empathy, Generating Commitment, Attitude Contagion
Dr. Terry Paulson is a PhD psychologist and author of The Optimism Advantage, Leadership Truths One Story at a Time, They Shoot Managers Don`t They, Speak Like a Pro, and Favorite Family Lectures. He’s featured in Nightingale-Conant’s audio series, “The Optimism Advantage” and “Napoleon Hill 17 P...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.