Legal Issues in the Workplace (CO353)
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with ILR School.Full disclaimer.
Managers and HR practitioners are frequently exposed to employee issues that may have legal implications for their organizations. This interactive workshop focuses on the legal issues associated with day-to-day employment-related decisions and actions, with an emphasis on how they can be handled in a legally sound manner.
Using case studies, practical examples, and discussion, this workshop enables you to understand an overview of the employment laws. Relevant laws and their application are presented in the context of problems that most typically arise.
- Understanding the legal framework
- Making nondiscriminatory employment decisions
- Compliance with wage-and-hour laws
- Safety and health rights and responsibilities
- Required versus discretionary leaves of absence
- Managing employees covered by labor agreements
- Individual rights and wrongful discharge
- Preventive employment practices
- Interviewing and making selection decisions
- Managing performance: feedback, appraisal, and discipline
- Downsizing or terminating employees
- Special legal situations
- Sexual and other types of harassment
- Medical and religious accommodations
- Understanding and avoiding retaliation
- Privacy, drug, and alcohol issues
Who should attend
Managers and HR practitioners who wish to receive an overview of Employment Laws; typical attendees are fairly new managers or to the field of human resources.