Who should attend
This course is designed for project managers; professionals preparing to transition into a new career in project management; professionals charged with managing large, complex projects; and seasoned project managers interested in refreshing their skills while earning Project Management Institute-approved product development processes.
About the course
This introductory class offers a foundational understanding of the principles of lean product development (LPD). You will learn how LPD takes the principles of lean manufacturing and applies them to the product development process to streamline the development flow from concept through to project management and manufacturing readiness. You will discuss multiple LPD tool applications to build your project management tools.
What You Will Learn
- Application of basic process mapping skills to product development
- How to bring clarity and continuous improvement to the development process
- A consistent, phased project management approach
- The importance of integrated project development teams and how to setup and manage high functioning teams for large and small projects
- Visual project planning and execution
- Risk assessment/mitigation tools and methodology
- Product development tools
How You Will Benefit
- Reduce your time to market through lean product development tools and principles.
- Streamline your Product Development Process and make it more productive.
- Understand what waste is during the Product Development process and how to eliminate it.
- Develop better communication among your departments through integrated product development team efforts.
- Prioritize your projects for maximum throughput.
- Understand how design for manufacturability can slash your production costs.
- Reduce your development review meeting load and make them shorter and more effective.
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT PROCESS MAPPING
- How to create a visual "map" of your current processes
- How to identify areas for improvement
- The prioritization of improvement opportunities and how to take action on those of most value
- How to create an improved future state
APPLY PROVEN LEAN TOOLS TO PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- Lean tools to projects versus ongoing operations
- Where the waste is in product development
- How to structure teams, identify needs, and develop member roles
- The characteristics of high performing teams
- Team leadership
VISUAL PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Visual project planning (team approach)
- Visual project execution
- Highly efficient "stand up meetings"
RISK ASSESSMENT & MITIGATION
- The importance of starting early
- How to use risk management to drive development activities
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT TOOLS
- Rapid learning cycles
- Cost optimization - value engineering
- Design review and feeeze processes
Experience Robert Wray, located in Dublin, is a project manager for Georgia Tech’s Enterprise Innovation Institute. He specializes in helping Georgia firms develop top-line growth strategies, lean project management, and existing product and process improvement. Wray has 30 years of experience i...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.