Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Senior and midlevel managers who are tasked with cutting costs and increasing revenue and economic value in a team, department, or division.
About the course
Apply LEAN fundamentals to reduce inefficiencies, lower costs, and increase revenue.
Processing requests taking forever? Customers calling to complain about delays and high delivery costs? Worried you could be losing business as a result? LEAN process improvement tools offer simple fixes that will change your thinking, improve your operations, AND deliver quick solutions. LEAN can be especially relevant if you're coming out of the recession with fewer resources and need to deliver more with less.
In this course, you'll discover there are 7 types of waste and 5 methods to eliminate it—5S, Poka Yoke, Kanban, and Kaizen. You will learn the DMAIC process (define, measure, analyze, improve, and control), LEAN metrics, and how LEAN relates to Six Sigma. Now, you can map the customer value stream and determine which activities add value to the customer and which do not. Then, you will learn to eliminate or curtail non-value-adding activities.
A highly interactive case study will cement the learning as you participate in repairing a broken process with instructor guidance utilizing LEAN tools and principles. You will document, measure, and analyze the cumbersome process and then apply LEAN fixes to experience and measure the improvement. Plus, learn how to maintain the fixed process and create reports on your findings. You'll leave with a LEAN enterprise plan that you can easily adapt and implement in your organization. Best of all, when you work your plan, you'll see immediate improvements that optimize efficiencies because LEAN projects deliver faster results!
How You Will Benefit
- Focus your actions on customer requirements
- Differentiate between value and non-value-adding activities
- Measure and analyze the efficiency of an existing process
- Improve the efficiency of a broken, cumbersome process
- Re-measure the efficiency of an improved process
- Customize a LEAN tool you can utilize right away
- Deliver better results faster with fewer resources
What You Will Cover
- Understanding LEAN methodology concepts
- Finding and assessing the bottlenecks that make your internal processes costly and cumbersome
- Mapping the customer value stream
- Identifying LEAN metrics
- Discerning the connection between LEAN and Six Sigma
- Grasping the 7 types of waste
- Understanding the 5 key LEAN methods used for process improvement : 5S, Poka, Yoke, Kanban, and Kaizen
- Implementing LEAN tools to decrease process waste
- Recognizing the elements of continuous improvement
- Cite Real-World Examples of the Use of LEAN Tools
- Look at Business Problems in a New Way
- Deploy the Tools Necessary to Fix Those Problems
- Demonstrate Thought Leadership
- Use Your New Skills to Differentiate Yourself in Your Organization
- Define LEAN
- Identify Key Milestones and Players in LEAN
- Describe the Cost-Plus Model and LEAN
- Compare and Contrast the Cost-Plus Model Versus Lean
- Explain Six Sigma and Compare It to LEAN
- Identify and Describe the Seven Types of Waste
- Define the 5Ss
- Describe Just-in-Time Manufacturing
- Explain the Difference Between Push and Pull Production Systems
- Explain the Purpose of Kanban
- Explain the Benefits of Jidoka
- Explain the Benefits of Creating a Visual Workplace with Visual Controls
- Define Poka-Yoke/Fail Safing and Describe Its Purpose and Benefits
- Calculate Rolled Throughput Yield, or RTY
- Define the Three Types of Benchmarking and Their Benefits
- Define the Aspects of a Work Process: A Critical Work Process, Inputs and Outputs, Project Roles and Responsibilities, and Problem Statement
- Flowchart a Process
- Draft a Project Charter
Value Stream Mapping
- Conduct Value Stream Mapping and Describe Its Purpose and Value
- Explain the Difference Between and Identify Value-Added (VA) and Non-Value-Added (NVA) Process Steps
- Measure the Relationship Between VA and NVA Steps
- Define and Contrast Takt and Cycle Time
- Describe the Purpose of a Kaizen Event
- List the Components of a Kaizen Event
- Define the Roles and Responsibilities of Team Members
- Explain the Recommended Rules of Engagement
Your Turn! Putting It All Together
- Reduce or Eliminate Process Waste and Redesign a Process Based on LEAN Concepts
- Evaluate and Improve Cycle Time
- Identify the Cost of Change
- Use an Executive-Level 4-Blocker to Communicate Successful Implementation of LEAN Principles
- Use a Managing-By-Fact Storyboard to Communicate Successful Implementation of LEAN Principles
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.