Leading Transformational Change
Strategic change poses a significant challenge for senior executives leading organisations. The process involves a wide variety of complex and inter-connected issues including employee motivation, culture, politics, stakeholder engagement, trustworthiness and communication. The solution to successful change cannot therefore be addressed by a simple generic “10 step” change formulae, but requires an effective approach to change that clearly addresses the organisation’s particular situation.
This 2 day programme introduces the concept of context-sensitive approaches to change and the need to design and lead change in a way that is appropriate to the organisation’s context. It starts where most other programmes on strategic change end – with practical concepts and frameworks to put strategic plans into practice, and addresses the leadership issues critical for successful roll-out.
The structure of the course is designed to help you first to develop an appreciation of the challenges of strategic change for your organisation, and for yourself as a leader and designer of change. The course then introduces the concepts of context-sensitive change and change judgement, and brings in frameworks that support the design of tailored, context-sensitive approaches to change. The third component of the programme is to use an understanding of how individuals experience change to build a more complete understanding of designing, managing and leading the transition process.
Throughout the programme you will be introduced to many case studies of change drawn from the business world. Participants will also have the opportunity to apply the frameworks and models to their own organisations.
Key topics will include:
- Individual preferences for change: Implications for leading and designing change
- Appreciating the change challenge: Cultural and political barriers to change
- Context sensitive approaches to change: Diagnosing context
- Context sensitive approaches to change: Designing change through change judgement
- Individuals and change: Personal transitions
- Organisations and change: Managing the transition process
- Be able to apply a series of practical diagnostic and planning frameworks, which will enable you to design and implement change in a way appropriate to your organisation’s change context
- Develop a capability to translate complex new strategies into meaningful change-related actions
- Receive a copy of the course text, Exploring Strategic Change by Julia Balogun, Veronica Hope Hailey and Stefanie Gustafsson
How will my organisation benefit?
- Executives with enhanced capability to lead change or professionals able to provide internal consultancy to leaders who are charged with leading change
- Greater likelihood of successfully delivering against the change agenda
Who should attend
The course is designed for all senior executives and HR professionals, organisation development and leadership and development professionals who are leading, or advising others on leading, change.