Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Designed for individuals and groups across healthcare organisations and stakeholders, the programme has a global perspective, with a focus on innovation and improvement, making it particularly applicable for:
Clinically trained professionals requiring an expansion of horizons, and a toolkit to address the challenges they will face in their roles. Professionals in a leadership role in a public, private or third sector entity, which is or will be part of the health and care ecosystem, and want to develop their strategic understanding. Professionals in global health and care policy, operating from organisations such as think tanks, academic organisations, governments and NGOs who want to understand alternative ways of fostering innovation and improvement.
About the course
Enhance your contribution to healthcare performance with our six-week online programme, focused on embedding leadership and innovation in practice.
Our six-week online course is designed to be flexible and focused, informed by the research expertise and practical experience of the Faculty of Warwick Business School, supplemented by the contribution of colleagues with deep experience of healthcare services, in the UK and in settings across the world.
How will you learn? The course is delivered entirely online with self-guided learning, enabling you to study at your own pace. The course is made up of six lessons, which each contain around 6-8 hours of content for you to engage with over the six-week duration of the programme. Each lesson is broken down into 8-14 steps, to guide you through the content and explore the themes in full.
You will be exposed to learning through case studies drawn from across the world, and these will not be confined to healthcare, as a great deal can be learned from innovation in other sectors.
What does the programme deliver?
An opportunity to develop a contemporary and sophisticated understanding of leadership in health and care. A global healthcare perspective having been informed by engaging with material drawn from a wide range of countries and traditions. A practical series of tools introduced to ensure that you can apply your new-found insights in your workplace. Our bespoke online learning platform The programme will be delivered using Warwick Business School’s bespoke online learning platform my.wbs. Our expertise in online programme delivery will offer you flexibility in fitting your learning around the many other demands that you face, whilst not sacrificing the benefits of interconnectedness and collaboration with faculty and fellow students.
Over the six-week duration of the programme, you will cover themes specifically designed for application to healthcare organisations.
Lesson 1: Leadership in Healthcare
- Models of leadership
- Expectations of leaders
- The nature of a healthcare organisation and its impact on leadership
- The emergence of 'distributed leadership' as a paradigm for healthcare
- Enhancing personal leadership impact
- When to follow and when to lead
- Honing leadership capabilities in 'the day job'.
Lesson 2: Developing and Delivering Strategy
- What is meant by 'strategy'
- 'Planned' vs 'emergent' strategy
- Systems thinking and its relevance to healthcare
- Handling paradox
- Leading complex change.
Lesson 3: High Performance Healthcare Organisations
- Characteristics of high-performing organisations
- Performance measurement
- Operating in a regulated environment
- The tenets of good operational management
- Responding to a crisis.
Lesson 4: Financing Healthcare
- Models of healthcare financing
- Evidence linking systems of finance to performance
- Case studies of alternative international models
- Financial management for the uninitiated
- Key economic concepts in healthcare.
Lesson 5: Improvement and innovation in Healthcare
- The origins of improvement science
- Models of improvement for healthcare
- What do we mean by 'innovation'?
- The challenge of adoption
- Mobilising knowledge
- Systematic approaches to quality improvement
- Digital innovation.
Lesson 6: People; the Key resource in healthcare
- The nature of the healthcare workforce
- The global workforce 'crisis'
- Potential solutions to the workforce challenge
- Creating and leading effective teams.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.