Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
Who should attend
This course is intended for managers who are tasked with leading a change initiative within an organization; they do not necessarily have to be in a formal leadership or management role. This course will be helpful for people leading change at any level of an organization, handling stakeholders who may be internal (such as cross-functional teams and other departments) or external (such as customers). This course prepares students to ready the organization through identifying resistance to change, creating a strategic plan for overcoming that resistance, and getting people on the side of your change initiative. Students will also create a vision statement for the change initiative, which is a key step of any leader.
About the course
This course will provide you with tools and concepts to develop and lead strategic organizational change. The emphasis is on cultivating your ability to assess the need for change, selecting from among viable change initiatives, motivating others to move forward, the process of transformation, and finally sustaining the change over time.
Authored by SHA's Professor Cathy Enz, Ph.D., this course will teach you how to lead strategic change from inception to execution and beyond.
Participants who complete this course will be able to…
- Diagnose the external factors that are driving change and the strategic orientation of your firm
- Articulate a change vision and build an approach for identifying and influencing key stakeholders
- Devise an approach for overcoming resistance
- Establish a process framework for leading the change initiative
- Complete a plan for sustaining change over time
- Develop an action plan for the introduction of change in your own work setting
Module 1 - How Do We Approach Strategic Change?
- What Is "Strategic Change"?
- Historical Theories of Change
Module 2 - Why and What Should We Change?
- Common Pitfalls of Change Initiatives
- What Should We Change?
- What Type of Change is Needed?
Module 3 - Who Changes, Who Resists, and How Do We Support Change?
- Who Should Lead the Change?
- How Do We Extend and Support Change?
- Create Your Own Communication Plan
Cathy A. Enz is the Lewis G. Schaeneman Jr. Professor of Innovation and Dynamic Management and a professor in strategy. She currently serves as the associate dean for academic affairs in the School of Hotel Administration. Her prior administrative roles included serving as associate dean for indu...