Who should attend
This program is designed for both new and experienced leaders wishing to enhance their ability to build and lead effective teams. Interested participants are encouraged to attend individually or in teams from their organizations.
About the course
In today’s global economy, organizations are continuously becoming more diverse. This broadening diversification of organization members includes cultural backgrounds, ethnicities, age, gender, and sexual orientation. Thus, it is imperative people managers understand how to effectively lead individuals who are different from them. Leaders who can bring an array of diverse individuals together and form a cohesive team aligned on common goals, purpose, and values will gain a competitive advantage.
This 1-day program provides participants with the knowledge and tools to understand and effectively lead people who are different from them. Participants also gain insights into how to shape the team’s or organization’s culture to create an environment that is authentic and brings out the best in everyone.
Leading People Who Are Different From You is the fourth of four open enrollment leadership programs. Programs are presented quarterly with completion of all four programs resulting in a Certificate in Leadership from the Allegacy Center for Leadership and Character. Interested participants are able and encouraged to participate in this individual program or begin the series at any point to earn the certificate.
What you’ll learn:
Current and emerging leaders will receive practical, insightful guidance and actionable tools on how to:
- Apply emotional intelligence to connect with diverse individuals
- Apply social perception concepts to identify and reduce biases
- Break down prejudices between groups
- Build trust with people from various backgrounds
- Apply various leadership styles to effectively lead an array of people
- Shape a team/organization environment that is accepting to all
Key Program Takeaways
After each course session, time will be allocated in the program schedule for participants to immediately apply insight and tools in developing a personal leadership plan resulting in:
- Understanding the importance of emotional intelligence in leading others who are different
- The ability to use social perception to accurately access others while reducing potential biases
- Understanding how to reduce prejudice in teams
- The ability to earn the trust of and apply various leadership styles to effectively lead people who are different from you
- Understanding the nature of the various areas of diversity: culture, gender, sexual orientation, and age
Expertise Leader and leadership development, trust, building and leading high performing teams, leading organizational change, leadership in dangerous contexts, and behavioral ethics Experience Dr. Patrick Sweeney is an experienced senior leader-practitioner and scholar whose research interests ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.