Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This program is designed for managers, directors, executives and supervisors whose people are being asked to do things differently.
Please note that the program’s managerial focus makes it unsuitable for non-managerial administrative staff without direct reports.
About the course
Designed for executives, managers, supervisors and senior leaders, this program looks at organizational change from a human perspective. Learn how change impacts people and what leadership behaviours are needed to manage the upheaval. Sustain momentum for change while applying a disciplined approach to communicate clearly, support your people and facilitate the transition process.
Each day of the program includes facilitator-led online sessions in real time. Sessions are delivered in the morning and afternoon with ample breaks provided. The sessions are highly interactive, enabling you to network with peers, brainstorm ideas, engage in skill-building activities, and receive constructive feedback. You will also have access to self-directed resources (readings, videos, self-assessments etc.) that you can review at any time.
Benefits for you
- Articulate the impact the change initiative will have on your division or organization, and its stakeholders
- Build a shared vision of success by embedding a communication plan into the change strategy
- Encourage desired attitudes and behaviours, and assist people in adopting new initiatives
- Communicate a convincing message that facilitates change by involving others
- Provide your people with the insights, skills and inspiration needed to do things differently
- Help team members cope with feelings of victimization, insecurity, frustration and cynicism
Communicating the Need for Change
- Delivering a convincing message to establish urgency
- Clarifying expectations, promoting buy-in and responsibility and ensuring fairness
- Mobilizing relevant aspects of organizational culture
Optimizing the Key Components of a Change Management Plan
- Communicating a vision beyond the change
- Helping people get the training and skills they need
- Developing internal branding to capture interest and commitment,
- Influencing people’s perspectives and behaviours in positive ways
Supporting People Through Change
- Why people often struggle with change
- Avoiding a “victim” mentality
- Responding with empathy and reducing discomfort by involving people in the initiative
- Dealing constructively with resistance
The action-learning format features interactive discussion, group workshops and individual reflection and planning time.
Tracey Gurton has been lecturing in the Sauder School of Business at UBC for 6 years. During that time she has taught undergraduates, masters students in two faculties, and business executives. She has also taught in similar programs at Simon Fraser University and the British Columbia Institute o...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.