Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome. You can register for this course without applying and enrolling in a program.
About the course
At its core, leadership is relational, connecting self and others. Topics may include: exploring the concept of “leading from the self”; leadership theories and practices; leadership styles and strengths; leadership beliefs and barriers; and the reflective practitioner of leadership.
Course at a glance
- Fully online course, accessible through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.
- Be introduced to the fundamentals of leadership as you reflect on your own leadership philosophy, examining who you are as a leader, articulating your values and behaviours, and generating a vision for your leadership practice.
- Aimed at emerging leaders, supervisors, and mid-level managers who seek to move up within their organization by improving their leadership skills.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of leadership.
- Differentiate between leadership and management.
- Identify effective leadership models for everyday work.
- Compare values, behaviours, and practices of effective and ineffective leaders.
- Know the key supervisory and management fundamentals.
- Identify key planning strategies to lead others toward a shared vision.
- Have an insight into getting off to a successful start when placed in a new supervisory position.
- Have an improved ability to communicate to subordinates.
- Understand the conflict resolution model.
- Identify strategies on how to develop a cohesive, efficient, and effective team.
- All course resources and learning materials will be available through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.
- This is a graded course; assessment includes post-course work to be completed via eClass.
Work Instructor @ University of Alberta Director< Program Design, Public Service Commission @ Government of Alberta Manager, Delegation Training, Workforce Development Branch @ Government of Alberta Education Master Of Arts in Leadership, Organizational Leadership @ Royal Roads University Bach...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.