Who should attend
This course is designed for HR professionals, managers, and other professionals seeking an overview of critical labor and management relations concepts.
About the course
Successful labor and management relations support employee engagement and prevent budgetary overruns. You will learn how this relationship is maintained and develop the skills necessary to effectively ensure productive outcomes between employees and management. You will gain a basic understanding of not just labor-management relations, but also why maintaining these relations is productive for everyone.
- Discuss various acts and agencies related to the relationship between labor and management
- Classify unfair labor practices as initiated by an employer or a labor organization
- Compare states with union security agreements with states that have right-to-work laws
- Discuss the collective bargaining process, including negotiations, outcomes, and memorandums of understanding
- Describe how labor relations units, supervisors, and union representatives administer a collective bargaining agreement
- Explain how a grievance is generated and processed
- Compare performance-related, conduct-related, unfair labor practice, and miscellaneous grievances
- Describe various alternative dispute resolution techniques and the appeals process
- Locate sources of information related to labor and management relations
Background of Labor Relations
- Historical Labor Events
- The National Labor Relations Act
- The National Labor Relations Board
- The Federal Labor Relations Authority
- The Merit Systems Protection Board
- The National Council on Federal Labor-Management Relations
- Federal Unions
Evolution of Labor-Management Relations
- Labor – Then and Now
- Labor Relations Programs
The Collective Bargaining Process
- Collective Bargaining: An Overview
- The Negotiators
- The Art and Science of Collective Bargaining
- Negotiations Went Well – Now What?
- Negotiations Failed – Now What?
- The Memorandum of Understanding
Collective Bargaining Agreement Administration
- The Labor Relations Unit
- Union Representatives
- The Grievance Process
- Performance-Related Grievances
- Conduct-Related Grievances
- Unfair Labor Practice Grievances
- Miscellaneous Grievances
Alternative Dispute Resolution
- The Alternative Dispute Resolution Process
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Options
Labor and Management Information Sources
- Researching – Then and Now
- Federal HR Information Sources
- You’re Going to the Negotiations!
Read more about Human Capital Management
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.