Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Ideal candidates for CIMA Certification include: investment advisors, investment consultants, financial advisors, financial planners, asset and wealth managers, and financial services professionals.
About the course
The prestigious Certified Investment Management Analyst® (CIMA) certification can be a key advantage for investment professionals. Yale School of Management’s fully online Investment Management Theory and Practice program can help you ensure you’ve positioned yourself for success.
Crafted for investment professionals pursuing the CIMA certification, the Investment Management Theory and Practice is an online course for those who value the high caliber education of Yale and the convenience of digital learning.
The comprehensive Yale CIMA online program includes: a CIMA registered education course and exam and study materials to help candidates prepare for and pass the certification exam.
Built around the Certified Investment Management Analyst® (CIMA) certification curriculum and approved by the Investments & Wealth Institute™ (formerly IMCA®) as a registered education program, this course fulfills the initial education requirement for CIMA certification. This course includes comprehensive coverage of the topics and learning objectives found in the CIMA Certification Detailed Content Outline (core topics list).
- Learn from leading Yale faculty and industry experts.
- Complete the certification process faster and more conveniently with our unique, start-to-finish online program.
- Study materials specifically designed to help you prepare for and pass the CIMA certification exam delivered in a variety of tools suited for various learning styles.
Investment Management Theory and Practice is an online course for investment professionals pursuing the prestigious CIMA certification.
This program, led by Yale Professor Tobias J. Moskowitz and financial certification specialist and Program Director Jim Dobbs, includes comprehensive coverage of the topics and learning objectives found in the CIMA Certification Detailed Content Outline.
It has been developed to help you better understand the concepts, calculations, and applications found in the CIMA core topics list; help you prepare for and pass the Yale School of Management course exam and CIMA certification exam; and help you take your practice to the next level.
Topic coverage includes:
- Ethics and regulation
- A review of financial fundamentals (including statistics, time value of money, and economic analysis)
- Risk management
- Performance measurement and analysis
- Traditional and alternative investments
- Portfolio theory and models
- Behavioral finance
- Investment consulting process (including client discovery, investment policy, portfolio construction and management, manager search and selection, and portfolio review)
Investment Management Theory and Practice, walks you through the core topics and learning objectives found in the CIMA certification curriculum line-by-line. The faculty team helps participants navigate the complex and sometimes confusing world of investment thought and application.
- Statistics and Methods
- Applied Finance and Economics
- Global Capital Markets History and Valuation
- Investment Vehicles
- Fixed Income
- Alternative Investments
- Options, Futures, and Other Derivatives
- Real Assets
Portfolio Theory and Behavioral Finance
- Portfolio Theories and Models
- Behavioral Finance Theory
- Investment Philosophies and Styles
- Tools and Strategies
Risk and Return
- Risk Measures
- Performance Measurement and Attribution
Portfolio Construction and Consulting Process
- Investments & Wealth Institute Code of Professional
- Client Discovery
- Investment Policy
- Portfolio Construction
- Manager Search, Selection, and Monitoring
- Portfolio Review and Revisions
In addition to the guidance provided by the faculty, the Yale CIMA online program includes materials specifically designed to help candidates prepare for and pass the CIMA certification exam – materials unlike any other program. Candidates learn by leveraging proprietary tools and resources that fit their own, unique learning styles and preferences, including:
- Online learning management system
- Class lecture videos, notes and outlines
- Overview and exam prep videos
- CIMA Certification Exams Detailed Content Outline
- CIMA Certification Exam Formula Sheet
- CIMA content readings
- Hundreds of practice questions
- Discussion board
- Participants are encouraged to study 10-15 hours a week
- Participants gain a better understanding of the CIMA curriculum core topics and learning objectives by mastering concepts, calculations, and applications.
- Participants develop tools and resources to help them improve their businesses by immediately applying new strategies and solutions in practice.
- Participants prepare for the Yale SOM course exam and the CIMA certification exam by learning from multiple resources, including videos, exercises, and practice questions.
Not only will the Yale CIMA program help you gain your certification, it will help drive your business and build your career.
- Perform client discovery more efficiently
- Develop investment policy statements for individual and institutional clients
- Identify and measure performance and risk more accurately
- Analyze and recommend appropriate traditional and alternative investments
- Perform successful manager search and selection
- Manage investment portfolios more effectively
- Use research in behavioral finance to better manage client expectations, decisions, and relationships
- Develop a formal review and revisions process
Tobias J. Moskowitz, who joined the faculty in 1998, studies asset pricing, portfolio choice, risk sharing, market efficiency, real estate markets and finance, empirical corporate finance, and the business and analytics of sports. He has explored topics as diverse as momentum in stock returns, lo...
Professor Gal Zauberman studies consumer judgment and decision making, time in decisions, financial decision making, and memory for emotions and choice. In his research, He has published articles in leading marketing and psychology journals on topics that include: factors that affect individuals'...
Roger G. Ibbotson is Professor in the Practice Emeritus of Finance at Yale School of Management. He is also chairman and CIO of Zebra Capital Management, LLC, an equity investment and hedge fund manager. He is founder, advisor and former chairman of Ibbotson Associates, now a Morningstar Company....
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.