Who should attend
- Security and business continuity professionals
- Process improvement professionals, particularly those looking to extend process improvement approaches into the operations phase of the lifecycle
- Enterprise and operational risk management professionals
- Anyone interested in applying a maturity model approach to managing operational resilience
About the course
This two-day course introduces a model-based process improvement approach to managing operational resilience using the CERT® Resilience Management Model (CERT-RMM) v1.2 Resilience Management Model (CERT-RMM) v1.2.
CERT-RMM is a maturity model that promotes the convergence of security, business continuity, and IT operations activities to help organizations actively direct, control, and manage operational resilience and risk. By improving operational resilience processes (such as vulnerability analysis, incident management, and service continuity), an organization can use the model to improve and sustain the resilience of mission-critical assets and services. Because organizations can't plan for every disruption, the maturity model feature of CERT-RMM can be used to measure and improve the consistency and predictability of performance under times of stress. As a process improvement model, CERT-RMM also can be used by organizations to chart a structured improvement path by setting improvement targets, measuring current capabilities, and developing improvement plans-all focused on making mission-critical assets and services more resilient. And CERT-RMM is designed to make more efficient and effective use of domain-specific practices that an organization already uses today rather than replace them.
The course is composed of lectures and class exercises with ample opportunity for participant questions and discussions. After attending the course, participants will understand the fundamental concepts of operational resilience and operational resilience management, have a working knowledge of CERT-RMM process areas, and be able to begin process improvement efforts in their organization. Using CERT-RMM as a guide, participants will also be able to evaluate their current security, business continuity, and IT operations practices and make effective decisions about which practices are working and which need to be replaced.
Successful completion of this course will enable participants to
- Understand the challenges of managing operational resilience
- Have a working knowledge of key operational resilience, operational risk, and resilience management concepts and their relationships
- Understand the CERT-RMM model structure and how to use it
- Apply a process improvement and maturity model approach to managing operational resilience
- Have a working knowledge of the 26 CERT-RMM process areas
- Understand how CERT-RMM is used to appraise an organization's capability for managing operational resilience
- Begin planning for a process improvement effort in their organization
- Introduction to operational risk, resilience, and resilience management
- Introduction to model-based process improvement
- Overview of CERT-RMM model components
- High-level review of the CERT-RMM process areas
- Adopting, initiating, and sponsoring a process improvement approach
Participants will receive a downloadable copy of course materials.
- Course notebook containing the course slides
- Various supplementary handouts and exercises
- Copy of Addison-Wesley publication CERT® Resilience Management Model.
- CD containing the latest version of the CERT-RMM Code of Practice Crosswalk and PDF copies of the course slides and exercises
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.