Who should attend
This session is designed for professionals involved in the development and writing of policies in their organisation.
About the course
Underpin the behaviours required to ensure that your organisation’s long-term goals are met through effective policy.
- Define the difference between policy, procedures, guidelines and rules.
- Understand the policy development process, including the planning process for writing.
- Develop a framework for implementing policy.
- Draft a policy using key principles of clear writing, as well as some tips on common grammatical and punctuation errors to avoid.
- Undertake peer critiquing in the workplace.
What is covered in the course?
- What is policy?
- Policy versus procedure.
- Difference between procedures, guidelines and rules.
- The need for policies.
- Limitations of policies and procedures.
- Policy development cycle including:
- identifying the need for policy;
- analysis (research, scope and options);
- approval for the proposed policy;
- implementation and evaluation.
- Drafting a policy: planning, organising and principles of clear writing.
- Writing a policy.
- Peer critiquing:
- why do it?
- rules of peer critiquing;
- ABCD of receiving feedback;
- critiquing draft policies.
How will I benefit?
You will look at the policy development cycle, and the drafting/writing process. Through practical exercises, you will cover planning and organising as well as the principles of clear writing.
You are encouraged to bring policy documents to work on in the session, as appropriate.
How will my organisation benefit?
Your organisation will benefit from an individual with a clear understanding of how to develop and write effective policy and a range of tools that can be apply within your organisation right away.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.