Who should attend
It is perfect for artists, professionals, students, illustrators, designers and anyone who wants to learn new skills and be inspired by different art forms.
About the course
Immerse yourself in the vivid colours and wondrous stories of Persian and Indian miniature paintings. On this short course you will explore Eastern and Western, ancient and modern influences and you will create your own miniature painting using traditional and contemporary techniques.
You will learn how miniature paintings are created, using techniques including burnishing, inking and various tracing and transferring techniques. You will explore miniature painting colours, with an option to make paint from pigments.
Each week will start with an online session introducing the techniques with individual assignments to complete during the week. The following week the tutor will provide personal feedback and introduce more techniques to build your knowledge. We delve deep into focusing on individual brush technique via minute hand movements and brush angles.
At the end of this course you’ll have your own miniature painting and knowledge of basic techniques which you can use in a wide range of contemporary painting, illustration and design applications. You could apply the knowledge and skills gained from this course to any professional career in the art and design worlds, including illustration, painting and fashion design.
By the end of the course you will have:
- Created your very own miniature painting showcasing the variety of techniques you have learned
- Acquired a foundational knowledge of the basic miniature painting techniques
- Been exposed to a variety of different paper preparation and tracing and transferring techniques
- Developed confidence in brushwork techniques including different ways of brush handling
- A basic understanding of colour, composition and framing theory and ideas how to develop this further
- Acquired an appreciation of how different art forms can influence your own work in positive and exciting ways
- Paper preparation
- Variety of tracing and transferring techniques
- Inking in lines
- Brushwork tips, tricks and techniques
- Pigments and paint making (optional)
- Paint application techniques
- Colour, composition and framing theory and ideas
- Special rendering and shading techniques
- Special outlining techniques
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Vaishali Prazmari is an artist incorporating Western and Eastern (Persian, Indian and Chinese) elements into her work. These Silk Road traditions are epitomised in Islamic, Safavid Persian and Mughal Indian miniature paintings. She brings historic painting to life for a wider audience through her...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.