Who should attend
- Mid- to upper-level managers, high potentials, and senior leaders from every continent and from a diverse range of organizations and industries, including large and small for-profit companies, NGOs, and governmental agencies
- Leaders seeking to improve the performance of themselves and their teams
- Any level of manager or individual contributor who needs to be more effective in interacting with colleagues, clients, direct reports, and superiors
About the course
Understanding why people do what they do is the foundation of all influence. When you are inaccurate in doing this, your attempt to influence others will have random and unpredictable effects. But people are complex, and as a leader, you don’t have the time or resources to decipher everyone’s psyche. The key is to know when and how to tailor your approach to understanding others in different kinds of interactions.
In this course, you will learn how to become more accurate in attributing causes to behavior in limited interactions, as well as how to increase your ability to get at the heart of a problem when you have the time and resources to do so. Professor Filipowicz will also teach you how to use a set of tools that can help you understand other people with efficiency, accuracy, and impact.
Participants who complete this course will be able to...
- Recognize the three fundamental drivers of behavior
- Form accurate hypotheses about the causes of others’ behavior that leave you open to new and changing information
- Actively listen in a way that helps the speaker articulate the underlying issue
Allan Filipowicz is Clinical Professor of Management and Organizations at the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management at Cornell University. Professor Filipowicz's research focuses on how emotions drive or impede leadership effectiveness, at both the intrapersonal and interpersonal l...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.