Who should attend
- Board members / directors in banking
- Senior bank executives with governance experience
- Members of board committees
- Auditors and legal counsel of financial institutions working with banks and their boards
- Regulators and supervisors
About the course
Developing more effective directors in a global banking context
In today’s global economy, the banking sector is under heavy scrutiny from regulators, shareholders and society, who are all searching for both improved governance and performance. Bank boards and senior executives must deliver performance while complying with stricter regulations, avoiding sanctions at all costs, and navigating risks in an environment that remains turbulent and unpredictable. Tensions are of course present in all sectors, but they are particularly severe in banking, where compliance and ethics, long-term versus short-term trade-offs, and product and organisational complexity abound. And if all this was not enough, digitalisation and fintech are expected to cause fundamental changes.
Building on the success of INSEAD’s International Directors Programme, our flagship course in corporate governance, the new International Directors Banking Programme is designed to support international bank directors and senior executives in navigating this most challenging environment.
Set within the context of the banking sector, this programme offers practical and tested frameworks and tools for board directors seeking to boost their existing competences or review their corporate governance practices in search for a corporate culture which is anchored in both effective governance and performance.
How you benefit
- Understand the broader context in which banks operate including the inherent tension and pitfalls associated with governance in the banking sector
- Develop an understanding of the fundamental principles of corporate governance with clarity on the roles and responsibilities of bank board directors and executives
- Gain an overview of the knowledge and competences expected from bank directors including skills around governing across cultures and geographies, stakeholder engagement and crisis management
- Develop director-specific skills that contribute to the creation of a high-performing board and corporate culture
- Hone your ability to challenge executives through positive exchanges focused on the key issues that underpines corporate performance.
The International Directors Banking Programme consists of three modules – governance effectiveness in the modern banking landscape; board efficiency and dynamics for high-performing culture; and developing director excellence and their boards.
Within each module, the programme will focus on three fundamental questions:
- What do bank directors need to know about the modern banking landscape to set the direction of the organisation?
- How can bank directors and executives cultivate board efficiency and positive dynamics for a high-performing culture?
- In the current context of the banking sector, how can bank directors best exercise their responsibilities to accomplish what is required in the boardroom?
Governance effectiveness in the modern banking landscape
- Scanning the global financial environment and banking landscape
- Fundamentals of director and board effectiveness
- Governance challenges in a changing banking world
- Effective governance across geographies and cultures
Board efficiency and dynamics for a high-performing culture
- Effective decision-making in the board room
- Political, social and networking competencies for board directors
- Positive boardroom dynamics through fair process leadership
- Simulation exercise - fair process leadership in action
Developing directors’ excellence and their boards
- The strategy imperative – stakeholder engagement and crisis management
- Putting it all together through a board simulation
- 360-degree evaluation of director's strengths and development opportunities
- Group coaching techniques for director improvement
- Director Personal Development Plans
Ludo Van der Heyden has been Professor of Technology Management at INSEAD since 1988. He is actively teaching in the MBA, Executive, and PhD Programmes. He holds the INSEAD Chair in Corporate Governance. He is actively contributing to the MBA, Executive and PhD Programmes, and is the Academic Dir...
Peter Nathanial provides strategic advice to major financial institutions, central banks, governments and other organisations around the world. He is an internationally recognised expert with executive experience in governance, restructuring, risk management and strategic business issues. He has ...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.