Who should attend
This validation exam is required for insider threat program managers who wish to pursue the following SEI credentials:
- Insider Threat Program Manager Certificate
About the course
To ensure continued excellence in Insider Threat program development, implementation, and operation, the SEI objectively validates the student's understanding and eligibility to receive the Insider Threat Program Manager (ITPM) Certificate. The certificate exam evaluates the student's comprehension of insider threat planning, identification and responsibilities of internal and external stakeholders, components of an insider threat program, insider threat team development, strategies for effective communication of the program, and effective implementation and operation of the program within the organization.
Learners can begin the online exam at any time. Once the examination is started, the learner will have 6 total hours to complete the examination.
Participants must achieve a minimum passing score of 80% for the Insider Threat Program Manager Certificate.
The exam consists of 65 multiple choice questions. Each question has either four or five possible answers, only one of which is correct. The exam covers the following topic areas:
- Insider Threat definitions, issues, and types
- Severity and impact of insider threat activity
- Fraud: examples, dynamics, technical aspects, and countermeasures
- Theft of Intellectual Property: examples, dynamics, exfiltration, and mitigation
- Unintentional Insider Threat
- Insider Threat Prevention, Detection, and Mitigation Strategies
- Components of an Insider Threat Program
- Requirements for a formal program
- Oversight of program compliance and effectiveness
- Integration with enterprise risk management
- Prevention, detention and response infrastructure
- Confidential reporting procedures and mechanisms
- Building the Insider Threat Program Framework
- Developing an enterprise-wide approach and interdisciplinary project team
- Building or enhancing policies and processes to include insider threat program considerations
- Identifying critical asset and protection needs
- Identifying risks to assets from insiders and enhancing any risk management program to take into account risks from insiders
- Enhancing organizational training and awareness programs to include insider threat
- Enhancing organizational infrastructures to support the Insider Threat Program by determining what defenses are needed, and where enhancements are necessary
- Building the data collection and analysis function for both technical and behavioral data
- Identifying data sources and priorities
- Building a roadmap for implementation
- Considerations for operations
- Future improvements to the program
The exam is based on information found in the Overview of Insider Threat Concepts and Activities, Building an Insider Threat Program, and Insider Threat Program Manager: Implementation and Operation training courses. You may reference the course material as needed. Please keep in mind that the test will conclude after 6 total hours regardless of the number of questions answered.
Once registered, learners can begin the examination at any time. Learners can proceed through the exam at their convenience over 6 total hours. Once answers are submitted, the exam will provide your score immediately and allow one opportunity to review and change responses to rescore, if necessary.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.