Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with McGill Executive institute.Full disclaimer.
About the course
An organization’s ability to innovate – whether it's creating seamless and enjoyable customer journeys, radically new products and services, or breakthrough business models – is critical to long-term success. Innovation is about solving important, challenging problems in creative and value-creating ways. Design thinking is a practical toolkit for innovation that anyone can learn and apply. Innovating through design thinking represents a structured, human-centered method for creatively solving complex problems that inspire and delight users. In this program, you will learn the core principles and tools of design thinking and how to apply them across your organization to help it innovate and grow.
Key Benefits & Takeaways
- Discover design thinking and the types of problems it helps solve
- Develop an empathetic mindset – understanding the problem from the user’s perspective
- Generate deep insights to reframe your understanding of the problem
- Apply ideation – rapid generation and refinement of concepts for solutions
- Move from concepts to potential solutions by prototyping
- Learn to test and validate solutions through the design thinking process
Topics covered during the program
What is Design Thinking
- Core elements of design thinking
- When is design thinking useful
Problems amenable to design thinking
- Three Types of Challenges for innovation
Learning from Customers
- Insights from Extreme users
- Customer personas
Divergent and Convergent Thinking
- Distribution of ideas
IDEO’s Brainstorming Rules: Seven Important Rules
- A toolkit for innovative ideas
- Generating tools and approaches for properly testing and exploring ideas before investing too many resources
The Design Thinking Process
- Evaluation criteria
- IDEO Design thinking framework
- Understand user’s POV: Immerse, Observe, Engage
- Solving the wrong problems precisely
- Seeing through new eyes
Taking Action: A Personal Plan for your Design Thinking challenge
- Finalizing your action plan to implement on the job
Who should attend
This program is designed for managers, executives, engineers, and entrepreneurs who need a toolkit for innovation. Participants will learn how to provide more impactful, advanced, and sustainable solutions to complex problems in the business world.
Trust the experts
Corey Phelps is an award-winning teacher, researcher and Professor of Strategy at McGill. He has spent the past twenty years researching the origins of corporate innovation and growth and has published his research in leading academic journals. His forthcoming book on innovative problem solving w...
Mike Ross is a faculty member at the McGill Executive Institute with extensive experience in helping companies thrive in the face of disruption. He delivers both learning programs and tailored consulting solutions on innovation, business models, organizational culture, and building robust yet fle...