Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome. You can register for this course without applying and enrolling in a program.
About the course
Provides an introduction to the history, theories, and key concepts relevant for the appropriate administration of access and privacy legislation. Access and privacy concepts and principles are examined using federal, provincial, and municipal legislation. All course materials and readings will be made available online via eClass.
Course at a glance
- Fully online asynchronous course, accessible through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.
- Aimed at individuals interested in pursuing a career in access and privacy, and professionals in a wide range of areas, such as federal, provincial, and municipal government employees; human resources professionals; lawyers and legal professionals; publicity and marketing staff; and records management professionals.
What you will learn
Courses in the IAPP program equip students with the knowledge and practical skills necessary to help them become effective information rights administrators, including access and privacy administration, best practices, and exercising sound judgement.
- This course is composed of six modules; each module is guided by an expert instructor over a two-week period.
- Assessment activities include a mid-term exam, an academic paper, and a final written piece where students summarize what they have learned.
- All learning materials are provided through eClass at no additional cost.
Jim Franks has been with the IAPP certificate program since its inception. He authored a portion of the original IAPP Foundations course and assisted in its overall course curricula and delivery. Jim has been involved with IAPP legislation in varying capacities throughout his professional career....
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.