Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This programme is for those who have responsibility for shaping the L&D provision within an organisation to ensure that is both impactful and effective. They could be managing an L&D team, HR practitioners with responsibility for L&D offerings or those working in a line manager role with L&D accountability.
About the course
Gain essential skills for leading a future-focused L&D function and learn how to implement more effective and impactful L&D strategies in your organisation.
This three day programme explores the changing role and remit of the L&D team. The objectives are split into four areas on:
- learning that drives performance
- leading stakeholders in the process
- delivering impact
- leading the learning team.
The programme contains insights from CIPD and Towards Maturity research on this topic and is structured to provide space to explore your context. Whilst there is a slide deck the facilitator goes through, it is designed to be led by you and will lead to the construction of an action plan designed to apply the learning in your context.
- discuss the key purposes of the L&D function in organisations
- explore key stakeholders and their role and requirements in the learning process
- explain how to develop a strategic, flexible and agile L&D plan that is aligned with the mission, vision and values of your organisation
- define the emerging roles required within L&D and how these apply to your own context
- identify a range of technical skills and behaviours needed to successfully lead L&D to drive performance within your organisation.
This programme was designed by the CIPDs Learning Team with input from Giorgia Gamba Quilliam, David Hayden and Michelle Parry-Slater, all recognised in the field of L&D and people management.
By the end of the course you’ll be able to:
- assess your own approach to L&D in line with the latest research
- drive performance within your organisation or organisations you work with
- lead L&D more effectively and impactful within your organisation
- be more constructive and purposeful relationships with stakeholders
- provide effective leadership and guidance to the L&D team to deliver aligned learning with organisational objectives which drive performance.
Before you start this course, it’s important that you consider the following questions:
- how do your personal objectives align to the course objectives?
- how will the course objectives enable you to perform better at work?
- what outcomes do you want from this course? (For example - learn new insights, find out the CIPD's view, confirm my thinking, challenge my own point of view, increase effectiveness at work etc.)
This course is delivered over three days face to face and split into four areas addressing the following topics:
*Leading learning that drives performance (Day 1): *
- what is the purpose of L&D in the organisation?
- where does L&D sit within the organisation?
- what are the key shifts shaping learning?
- what is our L&D brand and why it matters?
*Leading stakeholders in the learning process (Day 1): *
- who are our key stakeholders and what are their expectations?
- why is performance consulting a key approach in dealing with stakeholders?
*Leading by delivering learning impact (Day 2): *
- how can we align learning to the organisational goals?
- how to develop a strategic, flexible and agile learning and development plan that is aligned to the mission, vision, and values of the organisation
- how can we drive performance through learning?
** Leading the learning team (Day 2 & 3): **
- what leadership skills are required for the modern L&D function?
- what team roles may be needed in the learning team?
- what key skills and competencies must we develop and how?
- systematic learning cycle
- what is the role of data and metrics in learning impact?
- managing people.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.