Who should attend
This course is designed for economic developers who want to learn market and site analysis.
About the course
This course clearly articulates the eight-stage process for real estate development and reuse. You will discover a wide variety of financing tools that are available at the local, regional, and state levels, including tax-increment financing, bond financing, tax credits, tax abatements, land assembly, and brownfield redevelopment. Multiple in-class case studies will be used to help you work through real financial and regulatory problems.
What You Will Learn
- The fundamentals of market and site analysis.
- Financial feasibility.
- Political considerations required to move a development project from conception to realization.
How You Will Benefit
- Discuss housing, retail, office, industrial, hotel, and mixed-use development.
- Learn the regulatory and approval process, including zoning and permitting.
- Assess community involvement and political feasibility.
- Discover public, private, and nonprofit financial modeling.
- Understand the pro-forma operating statement structure.
- Review property valuation and capitalization rates.
- Discuss the brownfield redevelopment phase structure and liability.
- Learn how to make requests for qualification and proposal process.
- Overview of real estate development and reuse
- Market and site analysis
- Regulatory and approval process
- Financial feasibility
- Political feasibility and community involvement
- Federal and local financing
- Interactive case study
- Local tools for development
- Brownfields redevelopment
- Developer solicitation, selection and agreements
Alan Durham serves as a Project Manager with Georgia Tech’s Enterprise Innovation Institute (EI²) in the Center for Economic Development Research (CEDR). Prior to joining CEDR, Alan worked as an Economic Development Director with city and county governments to accomplish economic development and ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.