Who should attend
Anyone interested in developing their ability to generate and develop ideas and concepts.
About the course
How do you convert ideas into finished work? Where do you get ideas from? This course will help you to establish the link between ideas and the process of making. It will give you practical investigative methods to start this process. You will work quickly with a focus on starting alternative directions and experimenting with different approaches.
You will visit London institutions and learn how to use your research as a source of inspiration. This may include inspiration from contemporary and ancient sculpture, architecture or photographic documentation as a basis for generating ideas.
- Practical exercises will include working from your sketches, words, music, and collections.
- Through individual attention and group dialogue, you will be encouraged to rework, transform and present ideas.
- You will experiment with different materials and methods.
- Practice is completed by an introduction to contemporary theories around the influential role of research in contemporary artistic practice.
- You will explore themes associated with museums, archives and collections.
Ilga Leimanis MA is a London-based artist and writer. She is a member of Five Years, an artist-run gallery, and her own practice is collaborative and interdisciplinary. Her teaching experience of 10 years is varied and extensive. She helps prepare students for degree courses and many of her previ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.