Who should attend
This course is recommended for anyone new to HR; anyone with no formal HR training who has HR responsibilities in their organisation, or anyone contemplating a career move to HR. If time is a pressing factor for you, and you’re in need of a good overview of HR, this is the right course for you.
About the course
Build your knowledge and understanding of a range of core HR activities underpinning effective HR practice, with this two day course.
HR in Practice is the essential course providing an excellent overview of human resources in practice. Its participative nature makes this an ideal opportunity for you to explore and exchange ideas and information with other participants.
This highly practical course focuses on ‘how to’, offering plenty of solid advice, sound practice and tips on where and how to get started. You’ll learn how to manage those day to day situations that arise when working in HR, and get guidance on topics such as employee relations, risk assessment, creating high performance, and doing sound HR practice.
By the end of the HR in Practice course, you'll be able to:
- review the contribution of good HR practice in achieving company objectives
- prioritise HR work or area of responsibility in your organisation
- understand and apply key principles and practices involved in recruitment and selection and employment law
- improve your overall performance and personal effectiveness in handling a range of HR issues
- risk assess an HR situation, recognise where attention needs to be given and advise of the best way forward.
This course will cover:
- The changing role and scope of HR
- how HR can add value
- organisational objectives to policies, procedures and practice
- The UK legal context
- the contract of employment
- UK discrimination law
- how to avoid discrimination in the workplace
- Recruitment and selection
- a systematic approach
- selection methods
- Performance managementDismissal, varying contracts, redundancy
- definitions and purpose
- managing different types of performance
- Managing underperformance
- keeping employees loyal and motivated
- employee commitment.
Philippa has a wealth of consultancy experience both in the private and not-for-profit sectors. She specialises in HR specifically carrying out HR audits; return on investment (ROI) of, for example, the training function; employment law issues including reviewing contracts, policies and procedure...
Qualifications: MA HRM, FCIPD, Post Graduate Certificate in Executive Coaching Gerry is a highly skilled HR Professional with over 25 years leadership experience coupled with an academic teaching background. She has increasingly specialised in organisational development consultancy and over rece...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.