Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Operations managers and supervisors, business analysts, process improvement teams NOTE: Teams will benefit from practicing the tools and techniques together.
About the course
Most managers have less formal authority than they need to carry out their responsibilities. Effective, innovative managers know how to use informal and indirect authority to influence key stakeholders: the boss, peers, associates, customers, suppliers, and staff.
This course will show you how to expand your power and positive influence beyond your formal authority in order to get the job done. Learn to understand the sources of informal power and develop the persuasive skills necessary to lead.
Day One: Becoming Influential
- Defining influence
- Your influence baseline
- Identifying your sources of power
- Becoming influential: partnerships and influence
- Assessing your flexibility and impact on influence
- Reviewing your knowledge of the organization and perspective it provides
There is a team project component to this session. Prior to the start of the session, you will be contacted by the program coordinator to select a time to complete this project. It can be completed either:
- Day 1: 5 - 6:30 p.m.
- Day 2: 7 - 8:30 a.m.
Day Two: Putting Influence Into Practice
- Preparing to influence: identifying and assessing stakeholders
- Creating your message
- Planning and preparing for your conversation
- Following up: next steps if they say “yes”; next steps if they say “no”
- Influencing your boss
FIRST DAY - Includes breakfast, lunch, breaks and dinner
- Check-In and Breakfast 7:30 a.m. - 8:15 a.m.
- Course 8:15 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Dinner 4:30 p.m. - 10 p.m.
LAST DAY - Includes breakfast, lunch and breaks
- Breakfast 7:30 a.m. - 8:15 a.m.
- Course 8:15 a.m. - –5 p.m.
- Dinner 4:30–10 p.m.
Vicki is a results-oriented leader with over 30 years of leadership experience in operational and human resource roles for a Fortune 1000 company. Her career has been guided by her devotion to helping others tap into their full potential. Vicki started her own consulting practice, Katalyst Coachi...
Susan has experience in organizational development working with large multinational companies. Her focus is matrix organizations and how to navigate and influence cross-functionally in these organizations. Prior to joining the University of Wisconsin-Madison faculty, Susan worked for Baxter and ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.