Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
- C-suite executives currently serving on corporate boards
- Top-level public officers
- Next-generation leaders preparing to transition to a board role
- Senior managers seeking to shape and engage their board of directors
About the course
Corporate boards play a pivotal role in today’s disruptive business landscape, shaping the future of organizations by offering guidance and oversight on a range of issues, from business strategy and risk management to regulatory compliance. Learn how to magnify your contribution to create strategic value and ensure a sustainable competitive advantage for your organization.
This unique program has been designed for senior-level executives who currently serve on corporate boards and those who aspire to transition into this role, as well as senior managers who seek to engage more effectively with their board.
- Deeper awareness of the roles, responsibilities and best practices of corporate boards and their impact on long-term success
- A stronger grasp of the crucial processes and dynamics of successful corporate boards
- Frameworks to analyze the key organizational challenges in fast-evolving institutional and digital environments
- Insights to foster an effective board culture, including strategies to manage boardroom conflicts and power dynamics
- Core competencies to forge strategic partnerships between the board and senior management to advance stakeholder interests
- Enhanced ability to leverage diversity to boost board performance
Content of the Program
The “High-Performance Board Member” program uses real-life examples to illustrate the main challenges and responsibilities of corporate boards, with a focus on strategy, operations, finance, leadership and stakeholder management, as well as implications for family-owned businesses.
Among the areas examined are:
- Key Roles and Responsibilities of Corporate Boards
- Long-Term Strategy: Board Members Strategic Toolkit
- Governance: Corporate Boards as Early Warning Systems
- Board/Chair/CEO: Culture and Dynamics
- Corporate Boards and Digitalization
- Navigating Disruption
- Boards and Activist Shareholders
- Essential Questions for Boards: Finance, Marketing and Operations
- Boards and Stakeholder Management
- Boards, Executive Succession and Cultivating Next-Generation Leadership
The “High-Performance Board Member” program will expand your understanding of the main responsibilities, dynamics and strategic challenges of corporate boards and equip you with actionable insights to boost overall board performance. With a highly practical approach, the program merges a number of proven academic methodologies including the case method, interactive lectures, guest-speaker sessions, action-learning activities and team-based projects.
Two weeks before the program start, you will receive a package of pre-readings that offer a theoretical groundwork to optimize both classroom time and learning outcomes.
Marc Sachon is a Professor in the Production, Technology and Operations Management Department. He has a Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (MS&E) from Stanford University, an MBA from IESE, University of Navarra, and a Master''s in Aerospace Technology from the Univers...
Areas of Interest Corporate governance Strategic management Globalization and International management Jordi Canals is professor of economics and strategic management and was Dean of IESE from 2001 until September 2016. Prof. Canals is a recognized scholar in the areas of corporate strategy, c...
Expertise International Accounting International Financial Management Risk Management Mergers & Acquisitions Martin Glaum holds the Chair of International Accounting at WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management. Prior to joining the WHU in 2014, he was Professor of International Managemen...
Expertise Corporate Transformation and Restructuring Entrepreneurship & Innovation Private Equity Serden Ozcan is the Associate Dean for Corporate Connections and Otto Beisheim Endowed Chair of Innovation and Corporate Transformation at WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management. As an exp...
Videos and materials
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.