About the course
Career development is among the most personal and important ways leaders interact with employees in the workplace. These conversations are the nexus of hopes, dreams, perceptions, and business realities. They are also a key driver of critical outcomes like engagement, innovation, quality, productivity and retention. And yet, many leaders struggle to navigate development - particularly in today's flatter and seemingly less opportunity-filled environments. No promotions? No resources? No problem. This class offers a reality-based approach as well as the mindset and skill set required to ensure satisfying and sustainable development despite these challenges.
20% Career Development: Todays Leadership Priority
- The Business Case
- The Human Case
- The Barriers Real and Imagined
- An Updated, Reality-Based Framework
20% The Career Developers Mindset
- Self-Assessment and Reflection
- 5 Mindsets for Development Success
- Applying the Mindsets to Typical Situations
30% Facilitating Career Conversations
- Hindsight/Foresight/Insight Model
- Experiencing the Power of Questions
- One Question to Avoid
- Growing with the Flow
- Raising Your CQ: Curiosity Quotient
20% Engineering Development Experiences
- Growth versus Positional Goals
- How We Grow
- 7 Vehicles for Experience-Based Learning
- Applying the Vehicles
10% The Culture Connection
- 5 Hallmarks of a Development Culture
- Organizational Assessment
- Commitments to Action
Julie Winkle Giulioni is an author, speaker, and consultant who helps organizations demystify what it takes to become a great 'people leader', fire up the passion and commitment of employees, and keep great talent by activating and developing it. As a former professor, department chair, and learn...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.