Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome.
About the course
As a health and safety practitioner your practice is governed by an array of Federal and Provincial legislation and policy. This course, which is based on current legislation, will guide students through the key elements of the regulatory environment governing workplace safety including: the framework of occupational health and safety in Alberta, organizational obligations, jurisdictional considerations, and an overview of ethical and legal responsibilities as a safety professional.
Course at a glance
- Offered fully online or through blended (online + in-class) learning.
- Aimed at entry-level and practicing health and safety coordinators, professionals, officers, technicians, supervisors, trainers, management, and administrators.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Identify and analyze occupational health and safety laws relevant to businesses, industries, and occupations within Alberta.
- Discuss the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulation and Code, and communicate an understanding of the application of the Act, Regulation, and Code.
- Identify other legislation that may impact you as an occupational health and safety practitioner.
- Develop skills necessary to develop a practical and feasible plan for complying with the Act, Regulation, and Code in the workplace or respond to incidents accordingly.
- Present information and plans related to health and safety legislation and policy to management and staff in a professional and usable manner.
- Explore appropriate ways to communicate and interact effectively with the regulators.
Christopher Spasoff is one of only a handful of lawyers with experience on both sides of the OH&S regulatory regime, having spent time as both an OH&S Crown Prosecutor and OH&S Defence Lawyer. Don’t let the suit and tie fool you though. Sure, he knows his way around the courtroom, but...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.