Who should attend
This course is designed for professionals who want to learn about recent changes to the English language and apply functional grammar principles to create credible business documents.
About the course
People are often judged by how well they write and speak in the workplace. While everyday communication between friends can be casual and colloquial, workplace correspondence should be clear and professional. The first step to communicating effectively is understanding the fundamentals of grammar. You will retrain yourself to correct bad grammar habits—no more verb tense errors or misplaced modifiers—and refresh your knowledge of grammar basics. You will practice correcting common mistakes and emerge a more credible writer.
- Identify and correct some of the most common grammatical mistakes
- Correctly use commas, abbreviations, verb conjugation and tenses, and complex sentences
- Approach writing with the most up-to-date information on correct grammar usage and changes to the English language
- More effectively compose and create polished, credible business documents
- Provide clarity of meaning through the use of correct grammar and punctuation
- Avoid writing sentence fragments and run-on sentences
- Know when and how to use the active voice
- Eliminate verb tense errors, misplaced and dangling modifiers, and improper pronoun usage
Grammar and Communication
- More than Fourscore and Seven Years Ago...
Building Blocks of Language
- The Building Blocks of Grammar
- Putting the Pieces Together
- What's Your Sentence Type?
- Order and Agreement
- Verb Tenses and Number
- Perfectly Clear Pronouns
- Passive vs. Active Voice
- Modifying Messages
- Punctuating Life
- Capitalization and Italics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.