General Management for Shipping
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad.Full disclaimer.
MANAGEMENT DEVELOPMENT FOR THE MARITIME SECTOR
Shipping and Ports play a vital role in facilitating international trade and thus have a major impact on global economic growth. Yet, they remain essentially a service industry, which is characterized by heavy competition and boom-or-bust cycles. In such a business environment, the competitive advantage for any organization is its people. Sustained profitability, as indeed the very survival of any enterprise, may well rest on the competency of its Managers and Executives in managerial positions, who in the words of Peter Drucker, are "the dynamic life-giving element in every organization."
The managerial capabilities of this cadre thus become a matter of paramount importance. The career progression of most executives, who are highly qualified & skilled functionally, takes them to positions of managerial responsibility often without the advantage of formal management training. For those who have taken management education too, there exists the likelihood of acquiring a narrow focus to cope with hectic work schedules and meeting of deadlines, which can be detrimental to managerial effectiveness in the long run.
Management Development Programmes provide an opportunity for Managers to enhance their managerial competencies. Sharpening of analytical skills, having a wider and more objective view of the working environment, and improved judgement and decision making are the 'take-aways' of such programmes. A high level of customization of an MDP for the maritime industry allows for the direct application of the learnings in the workplace.
These are the unique features of the Programme "General Management For Shipping", which makes it the ideal vehicle for management development in the maritime sector.
THE PROGRAMME “GENERAL MANAGEMENT FOR SHIPPING”
The Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, first offered this programme in 1994 with research sponsorship from the Vasant J. Sheth Memorial Foundation. Subsequently, in the years 1999- 2014, it offered the same in collaboration with the International Maritime Training Centre, Mumbai (part of the Wilh. Wilhelmsen group of Norway). This programme has received world-wide acclaim for its richness and quality of delivery. This is the 27th offering of the Programme. Over 600 Managers and Executives from a wide cross-section of the maritime industry have benefited from the Programme since its inception.
This programme aims to provide the participants :
- a deeper understanding of the core concepts of general management, and their application in an integrated manner in the maritime industry.
- an enhancement of decision making skills by analysing situations and developing a strategic perspective.
- an opportunity to develop a broader awareness of the maritime industry through an exposure to its different sectors and peer-learning with personnel from other maritime-related organisations.
- The Maritime Environment & Management: Overview of International Trade, Shipping and Ports.
- People/Human Resource Management: Managing Team Performance; Negotiation and Conflict Resolution; Developing Leadership Skills.
- Financial Management: Financial Accounting; Investment Analysis; Financial Risk Management.
- Information Management: Business IT Alignment; Challenges in IT Implementation.
- Supply Chain Management: Logistics Management; Container Terminals Logistics; Port Infrastructure Development; Process Improvement through BPR; Vessel Fixtures
- Marketing Management: Core Elements of Services Marketing; Marketing Strategy.
- Managerial Communications: Business Presentations.
- Strategic Management: Strategy; Strategic Decisions.
Who should attend
Personnel in the upper or middle management cadre, ashore & afloat working in:
- Ship Owning and/or Operating Companies
- Shipping Agencies / Freight Forwarding / CHA's
- Ports and Maritime Infrastructure Firms
- Banks and Ship Financing Institutions
- Commercial Management Companies
- Maritime Training Institutions
- Ship Management & Manning Companies
- Marine Insurance Companies
- Regulatory Bodies / Classification Societies / Surveying Firms
- Offshore Services
- Chartering and Brokering Companies
- Shipyards and Ship Repair Firms
Consultancy Firms / IT Services
Any other organizations having or intending to have an association with the maritime industry