Who should attend
This course is perfect for anyone with an interest in fashion illustration who would like to learn professional drawing techniques and start to build a portfolio. It is also ideal for aspiring fashion designers, illustrators, prospective fashion students or anyone looking to develop their drawing and illustration techniques for enjoyment.
About the course
This course is for beginners, and also more experienced fashion designers who want to improve their drawing skills. Fashion sketching and illustrating are key skills in the fashion design process, and this fashion illustration course will teach you how to draw garments and render materials such as silk, leather and denim using pencils and markers.
You will explore different fashion illustration techniques such as drawing textures using graphite or soft pencil and basic marker rendering. You will learn how to sketch pleats, flares, gathers, necklines, collars, sleeves and more, and will help you depict fabric that drapes naturally, and capture textures and embellishments in your drawings.
You will develop your fashion illustration sketches week by week with feedback from your tutor in online weekly classes. This is a practical course where you are encouraged to experiment with different types of fashion illustration and drawing.
By the end of this course you will have developed your skills to a higher level, and will be more confident in your ability to accurately express your creative ideas. You will also have developed a range of high-quality drawings for your portfolio, that can aid you in a job or degree application.
- Free hand garment drawing
- Garment silhouettes and garment details
- Understanding drapery and volume
- Basic shading techniques
- Highlighting with markers
- Full colour marker rendering
- Depicting different fabrics, textures, pattern and embellishment (using markers, coloured pencils and selection of different pens)
- Tools and equipment hints
- Shading with graphite or soft pencil
- Observational drawing
- Exploring continuous line drawing and tone
- Using tracing method
- Copy and transforming garment illustrations
By the end of the course you will have;
- Developed the skills to draw and render garments with confidence and effectively communicate and present your design ideas
- Practiced and mastered a range of drawing and rendering techniques
- Produced a body of work that can contribute to a fashion or illustration portfolio
- Received personal feedback on your designs and progress from your tutor
Why choose an LCF Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience London College of Fashion wherever you are in the world. The real-time chat sessions are fully interactive allowing you to communicate easily with the tutor at the same time as fellow students. Additionally all LCF Online Short Courses include:
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- LCF/CSM/Chelsea/LCC Certificate upon completion
Ana Stankovic-Fitzgerald has been teaching on a variety of drawing, illustration and creative visual communication courses on different programmes at London College of Fashion since 2003. Ana has pioneered the delivery of practical fashion drawing and illustration courses via an online medium at ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.