Who should attend
The Financial Planning Certificate Program is designed for anyone pursuing CFP® certification, including professionals in the fields of investment brokerage, insurance, banking, accounting and the law. In addition, professionals from other industries who want to make a career change and are looking for rigorous instruction in financial planning are encouraged to enroll.
About the course
Fundamentals of Financial Planning provides an overview of the financial planning and insurance industry. You’ll learn the basic terminology of financial planning and develop a thorough understanding of insurance basics, risk management strategies, evaluation of client data, the concept of time value of money and the ethical considerations necessary for successful financial planners.
This 11-week course is the first module in the Financial Planning Certificate Program and is offered throughout the year on DePaul's Loop campus and online.
- Financial planning process
- CFP Board's Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility
- CFP Board's Financial Planning Practice Standards
- Personal financial statements
- Emergency fund planning
- Credit and debt management
- Buying versus leasing
- Function, purpose and regulation of financial institutions
- Legal aspects of insurance
- Property and casualty insurance
- General business liability
- Health insurance (individual)
- Disability income insurance (individual)
- Long-term care insurance
- Life insurance
- Client attitudes and behavioral characteristics
- Educational funding
- Financial planning for special circumstances
- Time value of money concepts and calculations
- Characteristics and consequences of types of entities and property titling
- Principles of insurance
- Analysis and evaluation of risk exposure
- Viatical settlements
- Insurance needs analysis and rational
- Taxation of life, disability and long-term care insurance
- Insurance policy selection
- Insurance company selection and due diligence
Howard L. Sorkin started his career in financial services in 1972 as an independent insurance broker, became a registered stockbroker, and in 1974, joined the Mid-America Commodity Exchange. In 1977, he joined the Chicago Board of Trade as an Associate Member in the emerging financial futures mar...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.