About the course
Fundamentals of Financial Planning provides an overview of the financial planning and insurance industry. You’ll learn the basic terminology of financial planning and develop a thorough understanding of insurance basics, risk management strategies, evaluation of client data, the concept of time value of money and the ethical considerations necessary for successful financial planners.
This 11-week course is the first module in the Financial Planning Certificate Program and is offered throughout the year on DePaul's Loop campus and online.
- Financial planning process
- CFP Board's Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility
- CFP Board's Financial Planning Practice Standards
- Personal financial statements
- Emergency fund planning
- Credit and debt management
- Buying versus leasing
- Function, purpose and regulation of financial institutions
- Legal aspects of insurance
- Property and casualty insurance
- General business liability
- Health insurance (individual)
- Disability income insurance (individual)
- Long-term care insurance
- Life insurance
- Client attitudes and behavioral characteristics
- Educational funding
- Financial planning for special circumstances
- Time value of money concepts and calculations
- Characteristics and consequences of types of entities and property titling
- Principles of insurance
- Analysis and evaluation of risk exposure
- Viatical settlements
- Insurance needs analysis and rational
- Taxation of life, disability and long-term care insurance
- Insurance policy selection
- Insurance company selection and due diligence
Howard L. Sorkin started his career in financial services in 1972 as an independent insurance broker, became a registered stockbroker, and in 1974, joined the Mid-America Commodity Exchange. In 1977, he joined the Chicago Board of Trade as an Associate Member in the emerging financial futures mar...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.