About the course
Physicians are traditionally trained to be autonomous in their thinking and actions. However, as new care delivery models emerge placing further emphasis on team-based care, physicians must develop practical teamwork skills in order to provide the best quality care for patients.
This course will guide participants in recognizing the importance of team-based care, identifying attributes and qualities of high-performing teams, diagnosing strategies to minimize risk and human error, and the significance of being held responsible for ones’ actions or the actions of others. Communication skills and practical approaches, such as the use of emotional intelligence will also be covered. Case studies will be used throughout the course to illustrate the nuances, efficiencies, and potential pitfalls of team-based care.
- Identify the characteristics of effective team-based care
- Explain attributes and qualities of high-performing teams
- Develop practical techniques to improve team-based care efficiencies
- Describe different types of human error and how to manage them
- Recognize communication strategies that help mitigate risk
- Develop techniques to manage team conflict
Method of Participation
- To complete this program successfully and claim credit, participants must follow these steps:
- Read the educational objectives provided on the course summary page.
- Attend the sessions or watch all the video lectures for this course (if applicable).
- Read any course materials and complete any required activities.
- Complete the course evaluation and post-test via your dashboard on the Association website. Successful completion of a given activity's post-test requires a minimum 75% passing score prior to claiming CME credit, with three attempts allowed.
- CME certificates will be available for printing after claiming CME credit.
- Estimated time for course completion is equivalent to the CME credit hours.
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.