Who should attend
- Middle, upper and senior-level executives, development, and program leaders of nonprofit organizations
- Finance executives who aspire to be a Chief Financial Officer or similar positions
- It is recommended that participants take the Financial Toolkit for Leaders prior to enrolling this program
About the course
Accomplishing Mission through Financial Planning
At the core of nonprofit financial management is the fact that money and mission are inextricably linked. Nonprofit organizations exist to provide services that other sectors of our community are unable or unwilling to provide. To provide those services nonprofit organizations need financial resources, and the financial tools necessary to strengthen the organization. In this program you will be guided by our expert faculty on a journey to explore the tools needed to build financial capacity and move the organization forward on the quest to accomplish its mission.
This program will show you how to examine the intersection of finance and mission. Additionally, participants will explore the importance of a strategic planning process which includes forecasting future resources, risk management, and building a plan to deploy those resources to accomplish the mission.
- Identify the intersection of finance and mission
- Learn the key elements of a strategic plan
- Understand how a long-term financial plan can complement the strategic plan to strengthen the organization’s financial capacity
- How to develop a long-term capital budget by examining the organization’s capital structure
- Learn how to identify and manage the risk all nonprofit organizations face
The Intersection of Finance and Mission
- Building on the Nonprofit Finance: Toolkit for Leaders, you will gain more in depth knowledge of how to use financial information to make important decisions that move the organization toward mission attainment
- You will gain new skills in financial analysis
- Real-life examples will be discussed of how financial information is key to moving organizations forward in their quest to accomplish their mission
Strategic Financial Planning
- Key elements of strategic planning will be discussed
- Case studies will allow participants to deepen their knowledge of planning for the future
- The importance of developing a long-term financial plan that compliments the strategic plan will be discussed
- Participants will learn the importance of financial modeling and how to develop a long-term financial planning tool
Capital Planning for the Future
- A key element of the Long-term Financial Plan is the Capital Budget. The process of preparing the Capital Budget will be discussed
- Important to developing a Capital Budget is understanding the organization’s capital structure. This session will explore the theory and application of capital structure for nonprofit organizations
- The session will discuss how an organization develops the mix of capital reserves, debt, and acquisition of new capital to fund capital expenditures. Experts in the field of debt financing and capital campaigns will explore how nonprofit organizations should consider developing a successful capital structure plan for the Capital Budget
Managing Risk: What Nonprofit Leaders Need to Know to Keep their Organizations Safe
- Tools for identifying and managing risk will be presented
- Fraud and theft can negatively impact the nonprofit from accomplishing its mission
- The reputation of your organization is a valuable asset. We will explore the importance of managing reputational risk
- Protecting financial resources through proper use of internal controls will be discussed
- Case studies will be used to help participants see how they can use risk management tools to mitigate the risk
Marian Powers earned her Ph.D. in accounting from the University of Illinois at Urbana. She has served on the accounting faculty of the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University, the University of Illinois at Chicago, and The Lake Forest Graduate School of Management. Since 1987, sh...
im Croft is a Principal with JWC Consulting Group (JWCCG) in Chicago. JWCCG provides nonprofit management and financial consulting services to the nonprofit community. Services include strategic planning (financial and operational management),executive development and training, and managerial coa...
I have experience developing and executing successful business plans, creating and streamlining business processes, developing and executing capital raising strategies, and managing operations in both for-profit and not-for-profit environments. I am passionate about leveraging technology as a p...
Experienced Founder with a demonstrated history of working in the legal, staffing and recruiting industries. Skilled in HR Consulting, Executive Search, Executive Coaching, Team Building, and Technical Recruiting. Strong professional graduated from Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law.
Michael Boisvert has 28 years of investment banking and financial advisory experience serving the financing needs of public and private universities, private K-12 schools, YMCAs, cultural institutions and social service organizations. He has helped more than 75 college and nonprofit borrowers to ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.