Who should attend
Any executive or manager with responsibilities for the financial health of an organization. Participants are not expected to have any formal accounting experience.
About the course
Improve Your Ability to Interpret Key Financial Tools
Financial statements are the pulse of a business, and one of the clearest indicators of its health. This course will provide you with a basic understanding of financial statements and the use of key financial analysis tools. You will use actual financial statements to learn and apply the techniques being examined.
Participants are not expected to have any formal accounting experience.
Benefits for you
- Gain a basic understanding of generally accepted accounting principles, financial analysis tools and various types of financial statements
- Understand the relationships between investment, operational and financing decisions
- Identify the danger signals when assessing the viability of an enterprise
- Be able to interpret key financial figures and their impact on your business
- Recognize the limitations of financial statements
- Better comprehend financial information seen in the media
- Content and format of financial statements: accounting standards, current issues
- Making sense of individual statements: the balance sheet, income statement/retained earnings, cash flow statements, notes to statements
- Analyzing statements: analyzing liquidity, leverage, profitability and activity ratios, common size analysis, comparisons with other firms/industries or over time
There will be considerable discussion on “earnings management” and “aggressive financial reporting,” and how companies such as Nortel, Livent, Enron and WorldCom used these techniques to manipulate their financial statements. You will also learn how to uncover some of these irregularities in financial statements.
Scott is a lecturer at the Sauder School of Business. He has been actively involved in professional accounting education for more than 30 years. He was the principal author for the CA School of Business in Western Canada between 2000 and 2010, and has won multiple awards for teaching excellence. ...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.