Who should attend
- Directors, GMs, VPs, Senior Managers, Managers
- CFOs &Finance Managers
- Corporate Finance & Business Development Professionals
- Business & Financial Analysts
- Risk Managers and Portfolio Managers
- Financial Controllers and Accountants
- MBA’s & Business Undergraduates
- Heads of Business Units & Business Planners
- Finance & Accounting staff
- Project Managers and Risk Analysts
- Industry Consultants
About the course
The purpose of this training is to enhance your existing Excel modeling skills and learn how to build and modify financial models faster by learning and applying industry best practices. The seminar highlights the core financial model design and construction techniques that every modeler should know. This seminar will allow participants to adopt a structured and comprehensive design strategy to develop rigorous financial models, in less time and with greater accuracy. This hands-on workshop will also teach you how to perform risk analysis and apply uncertainty into a model and undertake a more dynamic analysis to improve decision making by developing a risk assessment into an @RISK model.
Attendees should bring their own laptop, ideally one they are accustomed to using, with a Microsoft Windows operating system, with Microsoft Excel 2010 or 2013 installed and have a basic understanding of MS Excel (e.g. syntax of IF statement, purpose of $s for anchoring cell references). The Mac version is radically different and it is not recommended to use during the course.
Key Learning Outcomes
• Understand essential steps in designing simple, yet powerful financial models and cope with well-known model complexities by applying best practice modelling principles and techniques
• Apply core and advanced spreadsheet functions and techniques to construct effective models
• Master the development of models for project appraisal and decision making
• Learn to create and compare alternative scenarios – base case, best case, worst case.
• Identify the importance of uncertainty for model building
Explore and Practice the core Financial Modeling Design and Construction techniques:
- Effective Model Design & Construction – Best practices overview
- Separating Inputs, Calculations and Outputs – Key Modeling tips & steps
- Preventing critical errors
- Techniques to reduce potential errors, error-check creation
- Which function or formula is most appropriate in alternative Modeling situations?
- Review of the most commonly-used Excel functions in financial Modeling
- Timing Issues (Corkscrews, Base calculations etc)
- Smart Techniques for quick and efficient Modeling – Use of keyboard shortcuts
Advanced Excel techniques for creating automatically expanding charts and ranges:
- Sensitivity Analysis & Optimization techniques
- Reporting and Managing Results/Outputs
- Adding uncertainty to deterministic models using @RISK environment
- Select the proper distributions depending on the nature of their model / project
- Fit distributions to data
- Perform Simulating and fine-tune simulation settings
Benefits for you
- Enhance your Financial Modeling skills by learning the latest methods and tools to create solid financial models, following industry best practices.
- It would be a valuable opportunity to capitalize on the trainer’s well rounded experience and in-depth knowledge on the topic.
- The case studies will leave you with hands-on experience that will yield immediate benefits to your daily work.
Mr. Dimitris Leimonis is the Managing Director of Financial Arena, a London-based consultancy specializing in financial modelling, data analytics, business intelligence, firm valuation and risk analysis. He attained in becoming one of the first financial modelling experts globally to be accredite...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.