Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Vlerick Business School Executive Education.Full disclaimer.
About the course
A healthy organisation needs a management team that understands finance. This is non-negotiable. In today’s competitive global environment, a minimum of financial knowledge is highly recognised and appreciated by every company, as this simply enables you to make better business decisions.
You would like to have an overview of, and impact on, the happenings in your organisation at a higher level? In that case, you need to know how to deduce interesting information from an annual report, how to draw up a financial report, and how to establish budgets and interpret key financial figures in the blink of an eye.
Why This Programme?
What is the added value of following the programme 'Financial Management for Non-Financial Managers'?
If you join this intensive and comprehensive programme in Finance & Accounting, you'll turn theory into practice via a range of case studies so that you'll be able to claim your seat in financial discussions! You'll leave this programme with insights and skills to improve your decision-making and take on new responsibilities over time.
- Master all key concepts through the Vlerick simulation game FAST© (Finance & Accounting Simulation Tool)
- Develop confidence with calculating costs and associated costing concepts
- Comfortably apply the art of Activity Based Costing
- Analyse and draw up a financial plan with all the trimmings
- Learn the investment process and the different selection methods
The programme 'Financial Management for Non Financial Managers' consists of 3 topical components.
Part 1: Understanding Annual Reports
Module 1: Introduction to Annual Reports
- Key concepts
- FAST© simulation
- Balance sheet and profit-and-loss account
- Cash flow
Module 2: Interpretation of Balance Sheets and Profit-and-Loss Accounts, Financial analysis of the figures
- Practice-based case studies
- What are liquidity, profitability and solvency?
- What does value-added really mean?
Part 2: Mastering Costs and Budgets
Module 1: Costing Concepts
- Key concepts such as variable and fixed costs, direct and indirect costs, differential and opportunity costs
- Various techniques for cost calculations
- What is contribution?
- How to calculate actual, standardised and variable costs?
Module 2: From Full Costing to Activity Based Management
- How do you distinguish relevant from irrelevant costs and yields?
- What is Activity Based Costing (ABC)?
- How does ABC help to proactively control cost?
Module 3: Budgeting
- What is a budget?
- Why do organisations use budgets?
- How are budgets created?
Part 3: Grasping Financial Management
Module 1: Financial Management
- Introduction to the key concepts in financial management: cash flow, net working capital, payback and net present value (NPV)
- Developing and implementing a financial plan
- Managing working capital
Module 2: The Investment Process
- Front-to-end analysis of the investment process
- In-depth exploration of various selection methods: Net Present Value (NPV), Internal Rate of Return (IRR), etc.
- Feasibility and financing of investments and their related risks
- Assessing the profitability of investment projects
Who should attend
The programme 'Financial Management for Non-Financial Managers' is designed for:
- Functional managers outside finance
- General managers with little prior knowledge of finance
In previous editions of our programmes, we had the pleasure of welcoming participants from institutions and companies such as: Electrabel, ING, Tupperware, Materialise, Eandis, Infrabel, Philips, Damiaanactie, Janssens Pharmaceutica, Ministerie van de Vlaamse Gemeenschap, Caterpillar, Reynaers Aluminium, Druma, Barco, All Sport, Van Gansewinkel, Sea-Invest, ParticipatieMaatschappij Vlaanderen, FlandersBio, Bekaert, Remy Automotive, Fingas, Shurgard, Keppel Seghers, Van Hool, ...
Participants from our finance essentials have held a variety of positions, including: marketing manager, programme manager, project manager, business unit manager, CEO, consultant, vice president, coordinator, plant manager, technology manager, commercial director, general manager, credit specialist, managing director, executive director, CTO, sales manager, innovation manager, product manager, marketing director, team leader, business analyst, key account manager, business lawyer, business development manager, R&D manager, purchasing manager, ...
Trust the experts
Filip shows you how the finance function can act as a real business partner for your organisation by using accounting information for decision making and strategy execution. Filip Roodhooft obtained a PhD in Accounting at University of Antwerp in 1994. He is now Full Professor of Accounting at K...
Kristof knows “how to be in control” by showing when and how strategic management accounting systems may assist suppliers in improving their performance. Kristof Stouthuysen is Doctor in Applied Economic Sciences (KU Leuven, Belgium). He currently works as Associate Professor of Accounting and Co...
Mathieu shows how insights into financial figures and decisions can lead to value creation. Mathieu Luypaert is Associate Professor of Corporate Finance and Programme Director of the Masters of General Management at Vlerick Business School. Mathieu Luypaert obtained the title of Doctor in Applie...
Wouter De Maeseneire
Wouter De Maeseneire obtained his PhD from Erasmus University Rotterdam. He has worked as Assistant Professor in Corporate Finance at Erasmus and as Visiting Professor at Vlerick Business School. Currently he is Associate Professor in Corporate Finance at Vlerick and Visiting Professor at Erasmus...
Are you ready to dive into finance?