About the course
This one-day module covers the basic concepts of financial accounting and management that are essential for the efficient operation of any business. The day is split between morning and afternoon modules. The morning module covers basic financial accounting topics and the afternoon module builds on these to cover financial management skills.
Morning Module (8 a.m. – Noon)
Creation of Financial Statements
- Double-bookkeeping, accrual accounting and general journal entries
- The process of recording journal entries (ledgers, unadjusted trial balance, adjusting entries, adjusted trial balance, closing entries, and the trial balance)
- How to prepare the financial statements
Using and Interpreting Financial Statements
- Why ratios (horizontal, vertical, common size) are important
- Ratios used (liquidity, profitability, solvency, activity) and what they mean/are used for (efficiency evaluation and credit and investment decisions)
- Review of a company on Yahoo!Finance
- Return on Investment, EBITDA, Total Shareholders Return, Residual Income, EVA and the Balanced Scorecard
- Responsibility Centers, Responsibility Accounting, and Decentralized organizations
- Use of Contribution Margins and Variable Costing in evaluating profitability of a sale/sales
- Cost-Volume-Profit Analysis and decisions
Afternoon Module (1 – 5 p.m.)
Investments and Discounting
- Time value of money
- Risk and portfolio diversification
- Beta and systematic risk
- Valuation of bonds and yield-to-maturity
- Valuation of common stocks
Capital Budgeting and Project Evaluation
- Financial statements and cash flows
- Net present value (NPV) rule
- Internal rate of return (IRR)
- Payback period
- Why is NPV superior?
I was born in Canada and raised in South America (Bolivia, Chile, Peru) and Central America (Trinidad & Tobago) by American parents. My father was a geophysicist. I started my first company at age 18 and took it regional before selling it a year later. I helped with another start-up right aft...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.