Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome.
About the course
Students will learn the basics of financial practices within organizations including how to read financial statements, how to make and understand financial decisions, and how to create a budget. Additionally, an introduction to concepts of managerial finance will be examined. Students will explore financial decision-making skills and learn how to use financial information effectively.
Course at a glance
- Fully online course, accessible through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.
- Learn through lectures and lively discussions, as you broaden your network and apply the course content to the context of your own work or organization and explore its implications for your professional practice.
- Aimed at individuals in supervisory or management positions who wish to upgrade or sharpen their managerial abilities, this course will also benefit prospective or aspiring managers ready to take the next step in their careers.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Understand the accounting cycle.
- Compile financial statements from various asset, liability, equity, revenue, and expense accounts.
- Use various financial ratios to determine the financial wellness of an entity.
- Prepare and use budgets and analyze budget variances.
- Complete a cost-volume-profit analysis at an introductory level.
- Compute break-even points in dollars and units.
- Compute and use the operating leverage ratio.
- Prepare a relevant cost and revenue analysis for management decisions including outsourcing, special order pricing, and product mix decisions.
- This is a graded course; assessment activities may include exams, projects, presentations, journals, or research papers.
- Refer to the course syllabus for details on activities and assignments.
- A textbook is required for this course; further information will be provided in the course syllabus.
- Additional learning materials are provided through eClass at no additional cost.
Franco (Frank) has made presentations to industry stakeholders in Canada, United States and Europe, covering topics such as stakeholder relations, municipal fundamentals and finance for non-financial managers. Prior to his plus 20 years as an educator, his professional experience included auditi...
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.